• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam distributing iD games (Doom3 = $19.95)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
vixro said:
If I could directly buy stock in steam and not the company, I would.
Good luck trying to buy stock in a piece of software, as opposed to the company that makes it ;)
anyways, Valve software is a privately held company with ~104 employees as of last year; I don't think we'll be buying stock in them for a while

IR1 said:
nobody cares... I am sure id did what they are supposed to.. they have been in this business a while.
That's pretty much what I thought...they have been in this business long enough. Same with Valve.

shirker said:
Good luck trying to buy stock in a piece of software, as opposed to the company that makes it ;)
anyways, Valve software is a privately held company with ~104 employees as of last year; I don't think we'll be buying stock in them for a while
I wonder what each of those employees are worth. :eek: I know Valve treats them well.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
I wonder what each of those employees are worth. :eek: I know Valve treats them well.
with about 70 million in revenue two years ago...I can't even begin to imagine how nice those guys have it :(

hUMANbEATbOX said:
Well if that is the case, then that is bad. :confused:

Thats what I've been getting at! At least show credit!

Although I saw 1 guy on the steamforums say there was a small update that included a text file crediting them. As of that time, no one else confirmed it.

i just saw this today: http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/05/1951243

id and Valve May Be Violating GPL said:
"With the recent release of iD's catalog on Steam, it appears DOSBox is being used to run the old DOS games for greater compatibility. According to a post on the Halflife2.net forums, however, this distribution does not contain a copy of the GPL license that DOSBox is distributed under, which violates the license. According to the DOSBox developers, they were not notified that it was being used for this release."

and after reading thru this thread, it seems that some of you are a little fuzzy on what the GPL is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

iirc, GPL only says that if they made modifications to DOSBox, they have to realease those modifications, and if they distribute DOSBox with their product, they have to distribute a copy of the GPL with it. I'm not a lawyer and I'm not 100% clear on GPL, but that is my understanding. Besides not complying with the GPL, i think people are upset that id and Valve are using the DOSBox application without giving credit to the DOSBox project, which I think is one of the major points of the GPL. Give credit where credit is due + if you use free code and make changes, give those changes away for free.

This is fantastic. I own a lot of the games but I'm tempted to buy the Super Pack regardless. Especially since it contains all the Quake/Heretic/Hexen expansions which are nearly impossible to find.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
You wouldn't want to buy Valves stock? (note, I am not a stock analyst, I have no idea if they would be a good buy, or if they are even publicly traded)

I think they'd be a great buy. They're a company with a solid following, a forward thinking distribution model, and consistently releasing quality products.

Profits come from that.

Of course, Valve is not publicly traded, or else I would have dipped a couple hundred into them...

Last edited:
Back