• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam = Unreliable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Alright, ever since around August 10th (+/- few days), steam has been more than annoying, but now completely unreliable. Not only does FRIENDS network not work (after much time now?), but I cannot get around this error here:

"UPDATING STEAM PLATFORM XX%..." that cycles itself over and over and over... I got through this every few days. Some nights I can't even play b/c I just can't get around it.

Ways to get around it... play around with steam files (replacing), reinstalling the game OVER and OVER, rebooting OVER and OVER... and sometimes, like I said, to no avail.

Does anyone out there on this planet have this same problem? I hate the freakin' steam forums b/c it's full of 13 year olds who can't speak English without saying "stupid," and "idiot," and just all sorts of insanity.

What in the heck is wrong with this garbage platform???

i actually haven't had any problems with it since it first came out (about two years ago).

although I know that the Friend's network is down, it will be fixed with the next steam update release. Just don't plan on seeing it anytime soon. I dunno why/how they screwed it up though.

friends network

on that note they have already stated that is what they are recoding now after doing the gui which was released a few weeks back its all part of steam v3

Steam should refund back some of my money for all the time it's wasted!

For how long have you been dealing with it? It's been ever since the date I told ya... on and off.

Friends hasn't worked since late beta/early release.

Other than that, i haven't had any problems

I dont use friends so i dun no about that, but it does from time to time mess itself, and take long breaks from working properly.

I don't really care about FRIENDS... it's the fact that my platform updating does that ALL the time.

Steam really is a piece of junk. It's cool in many ways, but man it's so sad that after over 2 years it's still extremely buggie... I could understand a couple things here and there, but there are always issues with it.

it isn't buggy for everyone though, remember that. most people really don't have any real problems with it. try deleting your clientregistry.blob file and see if that fixes your problem.

I've tried that... and everything imagineable. It always ends up doing it again.

No problems?

Another prob I got EVERY SINGLE TIME all summer long, up until about a week or so ago, was whenever I tried to enter a server in CS: CZ it would say "Error: Server Verification Failed." I'd have to keep retrying a few times until it let me in.

I hate steam!

Steam has always done what I need it to do; make Valve games accessable to me. I'm sure that there are people out there with problems, but they seem to be in the minority. For every 'I hate Steam' thread that is posted, they get filled with 'Steam works great for me' posts.

Have you searched over at the Steampowered forums? Maybe somebody over there has your answer.

LOL... yup, I have. Only stuff I get is delete clientblob or w/e it is. I've also deleted the platform one as well...

Plus, steampowered forums has too many kids in there, so I'd rather ask around here.

I guess I'll try a 53rd format to fix the problem, possibly... and if fixed... for 2 days of working perfect!!

I dont know but after the recent update i have actually noticed something different ... the freakin steam now downloads content much faster than before :D so i am very happy previously i used to download at measly 8-12 Kb/sec ( while i can easily get 110 Kb/sec ) and now its happily downloading at 54 Kb/sec .... well not PERFECT but comparing to 8-12 Kb/sec waaaaaaaaaaaay better ...

maybe its not steam just another content server and i am lucky to get connected to it???

g0dM@n said:
Steam should refund back some of my money for all the time it's wasted!
That's probably not going to happen unless you write many angry and impassioned letters to Valve, and probably not even then.

That said, I have experienced a related problem with steam regarding content downloading...sometimes...it can't even find the content servers. :rolleyes: It's crapware.

Dang... I guess I'm going to have to stick it out even longer.

What file do you guys use to install steam after a format? I have the full install (~750mb), and I also have the half meg one... which should I be using... should I not use the full one?

Back