• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Step-by-step guide to setting up SSD caching on Z68 and Z77

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm having an issue with getting my caching to work. I've done every step and tried pretty much all I can think of. I have the latest version of the RST utility, latest drivers, both my OS HDD and my new SSD plugged into the intel SATA ports on the mobo, I have my bios set to raid configuration, and I edited the registry setting as I am adding the SSD to my existing W7 install. The problem is, when I open up the Intel RST utility, it shows both my drives as 0gb and everything unknown and am I unable to set them up to cache. The accelerate option doesn't show up either. Any thoughts?

I'm having an issue with getting my caching to work. I've done every step and tried pretty much all I can think of. I have the latest version of the RST utility, latest drivers, both my OS HDD and my new SSD plugged into the intel SATA ports on the mobo, I have my bios set to raid configuration, and I edited the registry setting as I am adding the SSD to my existing W7 install. The problem is, when I open up the Intel RST utility, it shows both my drives as 0gb and everything unknown and am I unable to set them up to cache. The accelerate option doesn't show up either. Any thoughts?

Zellin, I had the exact same problem, try switching (reversing) the two disks from their sata ports. If hdd is on sata1 and ssd is on sata2, flip them around and reboot. My Hdd was on Sata 1 and ssd was on sata0. Flipping them fixed my problem. Let us know how it goes.

Well I wish it had been that easy, gave it a try but still no luck. I figure this is what I get for trying to do it with W7 installed, though some in the thread seem to have got it working I figure I'm going to end up having to do a fresh install when I have time.

I got it working w/ w7 installed using the reg hack. Did you confirm that the rst version is compatible with your bios version ? They have to be lined up. Keep us posted. It is worth the effort you are putting in, so keep fighting.

Updated to newest bios version which "Improved Intel RST support" so it seemed promising but still no luck. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Just to confirm, when you got yours working were you set to ACHI or RAID mode?

Updated to newest bios version which "Improved Intel RST support" so it seemed promising but still no luck. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Just to confirm, when you got yours working were you set to ACHI or RAID mode?

raid mode. I was originally in pci mode, and changed to raid.

Personally I would set up caching with that setup. Why not speed everything up instead of just the OS? Plus I like to have min 100GB for an OS anyway. I always used to run out of space when I ran OS from a 64GB.

Rule of thumb for me is 64GB use for caching, anything bigger use for OS.

Soo,

Would it not even be worth caching in my current setup if i already loaded the OS on the SSD? I had the plan of getting my computer setup how i wanted it before i installed the ISR caching, but my OS, drivers, & browsers are all installed on the SSD.. My games and everything else goes on the D: drive.

If you're running things off of D:, then configuring that to use SDD caching will speed those things up.

It will speed up data load times for anything on D:, and speed up save times if you use the more aggressive option (Enhanced).

Your OS and boot times won't chance since you've already got that on SSD. But you'll certainly gain something from the rest of your PC by using ISRT.

NOTE: I'm assuming you've got extra capacity or a second SSD to use for caching your D:.

If you're running things off of D:, then configuring that to use SDD caching will speed those things up.

It will speed up data load times for anything on D:, and speed up save times if you use the more aggressive option (Enhanced).

Your OS and boot times won't chance since you've already got that on SSD. But you'll certainly gain something from the rest of your PC by using ISRT.

NOTE: I'm assuming you've got extra capacity or a second SSD to use for caching your D:.

I havent installed a office yet (just word and excel is all i plan to) but currently i have about 65gig free on the SSD.

Just be aware that you'll need to partition your SSD for the amount you want to use for ISRT. Once you have a blank partition on your SSD, you can run the IRST manager (from your task bar icon) to accelerate the D: using the blank partition on your SSD.

This is to the best of my knowledge. I haven't actually done this yet, but every indication is that this will work (assuming your BIOS is already set to RAID, your SSD is attached to the Intel SATA ports as well as the HDD you're trying to accelerate).

Good luck! And let us know how you make out!

PS: I would love to strangle the idiots at Intel that decided to use nearly identical names for their two related but not-same technologies! It's impossible to remember which is which (IRST/ISRT), and takes tons of mental cpu-cycles to distinguish and recall which is which! Ugh!
IRST = Intel Rapid Storage Technology (their SATA controller & driver technology)
ISRT = Intel Smart Response Technology (the SSD caching technology, aka Accelerate)

Just be aware that you'll need to partition your SSD for the amount you want to use for ISRT. Once you have a blank partition on your SSD, you can run the IRST manager (from your task bar icon) to accelerate the D: using the blank partition on your SSD.

This is to the best of my knowledge. I haven't actually done this yet, but every indication is that this will work (assuming your BIOS is already set to RAID, your SSD is attached to the Intel SATA ports as well as the HDD you're trying to accelerate).

Good luck! And let us know how you make out!

PS: I would love to strangle the idiots at Intel that decided to use nearly identical names for their two related but not-same technologies! It's impossible to remember which is which (IRST/ISRT), and takes tons of mental cpu-cycles to distinguish and recall which is which! Ugh!
IRST = Intel Rapid Storage Technology (their SATA controller & driver technology)
ISRT = Intel Smart Response Technology (the SSD caching technology, aka Accelerate)

haha.. ok.. i just did some SSD/Win7 tweaks to optmize how it runs and uses the SSD, i now have 99.5 gig free :D. I haz plenty of space.

Also, im guessing that i will still need to do the registry tweak for the RAID driver? and will the order steps on the first page of this thread still apply to a partition (instead of the separate drive)

Last edited:
I originally picked up a Corsair Force Series GT 240GB SSD drive and installed the W7, office and other programs on it.

Recently I purchased a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HDD as I was concerned about the SSD getting filled quickly.

So for large programs like games etc, I figured I'd just install them on the 2TB HDD.

Would it be beneficial for me to cache the 2TB hard drive to the originally installed SSD drive? Or should I just leave it as a separate drive?

I originally picked up a Corsair Force Series GT 240GB SSD drive and installed the W7, office and other programs on it.

Recently I purchased a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HDD as I was concerned about the SSD getting filled quickly.

So for large programs like games etc, I figured I'd just install them on the 2TB HDD.

Would it be beneficial for me to cache the 2TB hard drive to the originally installed SSD drive? Or should I just leave it as a separate drive?

Just leave it is my advice.

Yeah 2TB would see a boost but not enough to make much of any difference. I would not bother unless you don't use the thing except for rarley accessed files. If you are using it for big files like movies and pictures you will see a boost in boot time and windows speeds but other than that it is a waste of SSD space.

Thank you both for the fast response!

I would use the HDD for storage so speed isn't really important for that stuff. BUT some games would be installed on the 2TB HDD which would mean that they are running from the drive, which is why I'm concerned.

If I installed BF3 for example on the 2TB WD HDD (mind you OS is on SSD), what benefits would I have by caching it...and how would I go about this?

I'm still a bit confused as to how to setup the 2TB HDD drive this way...it's sort of backwards. I'm assuming that when Archer mentioned I'll be loosing space on the SSD, that is due to dedicated caching space I'll be reserving correct?

If I'm reading the initial steps correctly, they are setup as the HDD originally installed with OS ...of which you're just adding a small SSD drive for caching. That is the opposite of what I'm considering.

Thats how it has to be setup to work. There is a way around that, but its a convoluted install process to accomplish it. With a 240GB drive, how/why is BF3 NOT on it in the first place?

Thats how it has to be setup to work. There is a way around that, but its a convoluted install process to accomplish it. With a 240GB drive, how/why is BF3 NOT on it in the first place?

I'm confused, when you state "that's how it has to be setup to work" since I'm adding an HDD to an SSD, not the other way around, how do I set that up?

Regarding BF3, I was just using a game as an example :)...it could be a CAD program or other that uses allot of resources and is just so large which takes up allot of space.

What can be done is a partitioned approach I believe but it is really pointless with an SSD that big. If you could use the entire drive as a cache it would be diffrent.

Correct. Im trying to find the article that shows how to set it up. You have to do it in a specific way as the technology is not intended to work that way.

Back