• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Step-by-step guide to setting up SSD caching on Z68 and Z77

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm. I think I saw an article on it too...hopefully with us searching one of us can come up with it.

Thank you again everyone for posting so quickly.

Hi fellas,
I read through this entire discussion thread (without planning on replying due to the age of the read) and decided to reply since there are still current replies :)

anyway, I'm just confirming a couple of thoughts.

A friend of mine is building a new computer with a 64gb SSD, but won't be getting an actual hard drive for a little while because the prices are sky-high at the moment. Hopefully they will come down in the near future and at that point he plans to buy a 1TB hard drive. If he installs the OS on the 64gb SSD can he still enable caching to the rest of it when he installs the HDD?

As long as he installs the OS in Raid mode on the SSD plugged into the Intel port, then he could install IRST and cache, correct?

Thanks in advance!

He would be better off switching to the conventional method using the SSD as the caching drive and instlall OS on the HDD. What you're referring to now I think is essentially what I've been asking...though in my case, I have a very large SSD.

Installing OS like W7 on a 64gb drive will pretty much fill that up...64gb drive doesn't mean you have 64gb's to use. I"m not the expert by any means in this area...maybe someone can chime in.

Well since you said that - I've been using an OCZ Vertex II 60gb SSD for just over a year now. I installed windows 7 on it and have a 640gb WD Black HDD for storage.

I have about 20gb free on it after installing all of my normal programs on it. The only thing I have on my HDD is Steam + games, movies, music, pics, etc. It's been a great setup so far for me.

Yea that sounds about right using a stripped down W7, i.e. you've reduced your % of the recycle bin reserve, turned off system restore and a few other tweaks...pagefile blah blah blah.

I wouldn't use that small of a drive for anything else other than caching in my opinion. If it works for you, that is what is most important. I'd think you'd have a better overall benefit by switching the setup using the SSD as a caching drive.

Each individual will have to decide between speed vs. capacity.

I'm running a 60GB SSD cache + 750GB HDD at the office, and it's been lovely. ISRT is great, and leaves me not having to think about space concerns with a solid speed up.

At home I'm running a 256GB SSD stand-alone + 2TB HDD (not cached), and that works even better in terms of speed, but even with 256GB, I'm quite low on space on the C: drive. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 512GB SSD in the next six months.

But either configuration has its merits (and other possibilities as well) - just depends on your needs and budget. I just wish a cheap + fast 64GB SSD - preferably micro SATA - would come out. Never seem to find a really good one to dedicate to caching, or use the special micro SATA controller on my Gigabyte mobo.

I have a Asus P8Z68-V mobo, how do I know which is the intel Sata port? And I need to have RAID on, does that mean I need two identical HDDs then?

So sorry I never done this new SSD thing before and I thought I would never want it, but things have changed...

I have a Asus P8Z68-V mobo, how do I know which is the intel Sata port? And I need to have RAID on, does that mean I need two identical HDDs then?

So sorry I never done this new SSD thing before and I thought I would never want it, but things have changed...

Your manual should say. But since that mobo only has 6 sata's total, its likely they are all intel. I think beyond 2 Sata3 ports has to have a separate controller.

What are you trying to do? You seem to be mixing things up. Do you want RAID (2 drives, 2 SSDs or 2 HDDs), or do you want to use the caching (2 drives, SSD and HDD)?

I didn't read through the entire thread, but an important step is missing from OP's instructions.

Before installing SRT, you should install the latest chipset drivers.

What are you trying to do? You seem to be mixing things up. Do you want RAID (2 drives, 2 SSDs or 2 HDDs), or do you want to use the caching (2 drives, SSD and HDD)?

I want to use caching only. The guide said to enable raid thats why I got confused.

To use caching you have to have RAID mode set in the BIOS. This however does not mean set up a RAID array.

To use caching you have to have RAID mode set in the BIOS. This however does not mean set up a RAID array.

I think what he means is the op stated that Raid has to be enabled within windows if you didnt install it with Raid enabled. (or something to that effect) which is what confused me alittle.

I was ready to setup a partition on my 120gig drive but some posters here seem to say its not worth it if your using it as a boot drive? :|

OK, I'm totally at the end of my rope with this. Don't have a clue what to do. Can anyone help?
I have an ASUS P8P67 with the latest BIOS installed today. The latest RST software (10.8.0.1003).

I did a clean install of windows on my SATA 1 Maxtor drive which is 300GB. I got an OCZ Vertex 3 60GB as my cache drive.
I can't see the accelerate button. Everything I've tried hasn't worked. The SATA mode was set as RAID before I did the clean windows install.
At first the HDD was on SATA port 3, the SATA2 connection. And my SSD is on port 0, the Intel SATA3 connection. Someone here suggested switching the HDD to be on the same controller, so I put the HDD as 0 and the SSD as 1. No effect.

What do I do? Why won't the option come up?

@kastibong You seem to be right. I didn't realise it was only for Z68 chipset boards. Damn.
I was getting mixed up because you can install RST for it so I thought that included SRT as well. Damn Intel and their similar acronyms!

I was getting mixed up because you can install RST for it so I thought that included SRT as well. Damn Intel and their similar acronyms!

It's definitely a Z68 only feature.

And I cannot agree more about Intel being crappy about their choice of acronyms. Somebody should get a "clever fist in the face" for something that confusing... IRST, ISRT, .... took me weeks to figure out it wasn't just a type-o!

It's definitely a Z68 only feature.

And I cannot agree more about Intel being crappy about their choice of acronyms. Somebody should get a "clever fist in the face" for something that confusing... IRST, ISRT, .... took me weeks to figure out it wasn't just a type-o!

OK, thanks to you both.
I'm disappointed that I got mixed up when I was buying my components, but I still have a powerful setup so it's not too bad.
I'll just use the new SSD as the windows/small apps drive. It'll still be a good speed boost for me.

Back