• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Step by Step Instructions for Optimizing the SETI BOINC Client for Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so this optimized stuff, just drop in those files and run the manager as normal? or do i run the downloaded optimized .exe files or something....
just want to make sure

so this optimized stuff, just drop in those files and run the manager as normal? or do i run the downloaded optimized .exe files or something....
just want to make sure
You got it right the first time - copy the files and run the manager as normal.

I like to double check Task Manager to make sure the optimized app is being used but I've never had a failure yet ... :)

Hi guys, I kinda am with Mr. Guv on this, F@H as great as it is is too ridiculous to keep up with and leads to too much maintenance of file and system clutter, what with installing this and uninstalling that every week. Anyway, I figured I'd give this a shot. I think I've got it running correctly. Any tips or pointers, or things I need to do to helps out?

Hi guys, I kinda am with Mr. Guv on this, F@H as great as it is is too ridiculous to keep up with and leads to too much maintenance of file and system clutter, what with installing this and uninstalling that every week. Anyway, I figured I'd give this a shot. I think I've got it running correctly. Any tips or pointers, or things I need to do to helps out?
Not really. As has been said, BOINC is very easy to run. The fanciest "trick" we have is running an optimizer, currently the AK_v8. Those do get improved every so often but this one is relatively new so I don't expect any changes for awhile.

I suppose optimizing your system (cleaning up services, cutting down on virus scans, etc.) would be recommended but you F@H guys probably know that already ... :)

Not really. As has been said, BOINC is very easy to run. The fanciest "trick" we have is running an optimizer, currently the AK_v8. Those do get improved every so often but this one is relatively new so I don't expect any changes for awhile.

I suppose optimizing your system (cleaning up services, cutting down on virus scans, etc.) would be recommended but you F@H guys probably know that already ... :)

Awesome, this'll be fun. A program that doesn't need a nursemaid :D Stanford should take notes.

Ty Q.I.

I haven't been out of work in a loooonnnngggg time. It's what the 10-day cache was designed to avoid.
But that is a good reminder -

Under Advanced/Preferences/Network Usage set the additional work buffer to 10

FYI

under windows server 2003, i found the needed directory under

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu

where did they move the folder to for windows xp service pack 3?? i cannot find it been looking for over a hr i changedn the thing to show all hidden folders and it still is nowhere to be found..

NVM the above user had the right location for me also.. thanks...

The latest BOINC app uses: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC\

Or, if it's installed as a single user installation it'll be under the user name instead of "All Users" ...

Hello all..new to the forum and I thought I would post this link for the Cuda optimized app (it installs itself) just go threw the steps on what you want to run.

http://boinc.dnsalias.com/

Its at the bottom of that list called "64bit Unified Installer (APv5 32bit, AKv8b 64bit & CUDAv11)"

This is for both CPU work and GPU work..just pick which one you want..or if you want to run both pick both.

Hello all..new to the forum and I thought I would post this link for the Cuda optimized app (it installs itself) just go threw the steps on what you want to run.

http://boinc.dnsalias.com/

Its at the bottom of that list called "64bit Unified Installer (APv5 32bit, AKv8b 64bit & CUDAv11)"

This is for both CPU work and GPU work..just pick which one you want..or if you want to run both pick both.

Says Page cannot be found when using that link

Says Page cannot be found when using that link

http://lunatics.kwsn.net/index.php?module=Downloads;catd=9

Use that one. It's directly from the lunatics website. So the link shouldn't go dead for a long time. :D

The unified installers are the first 3 on that page. Pick the one you need based on what type of O/S you are running. Either 32 or 64bit, ( or 98me if you are running and older version of windows. )

Also to note, The lunatics unified installer adds cuda 2.2 ability to boinc, BUT the newest Nvidia drivers updates cuda to version 2.3. So to update the cuda files...

http://lunatics.kwsn.net/index.php?module=Downloads;sa=dlview;id=208

Go there. Or just scroll to the bottom of the 1st link I posted, and look for the link that says CUDA 2.3 DLL's.

then copy those files to the C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu folder.

If it asks you if you want to replace old DLL's with these new ones, select yes.

That will update boinc to use cuda 2.3, which gives another boost in performance over 2.2 ( and 2.2 gave a pretty good performance boost over 2.1 ).

Back