• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STFU computer! Case fans and noise.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zewt

Alright. I'm sorta at a crossroads here.

I recently fixed a major heat issue with my cpu and started to circulate more air into my case with an extra fan. I figured that one case fan would be an awesome addition and would help out a lot in the circulation department, seeing as how I only had one exhaust fan and a cpu HS fan. And while it does help, IT'S NOSIER THAN HELL!

The case fan I added is positioned on the side panel, above the cpu. This particular fan also has a straight plastic duct attatched to it. The duct itself came with the case so I figured I'd put it to good use by directing airflow over the cpu's HSF.

The hole it moves air through is not completely free of traffic. As oppose to being a perfect hole, it's more of a preforated hexagon, with the holes evenly spaced from each other.

Out of all this, I want to ask two questions:

1) If I were to dremel away the preforated metal that sits in that hexagon, would that bring down the noise level?

2) Is there a such thing as a quiet, but high cfm fan? If so, I could replace this loud side panel fan with maybe a more quiet giant. If it doesn't exist, though, maybe I could just put more lower cfm, but quiter fans.

If any of you have squashed both a noise problem and a case circulation problem, please let me know what you did. Thank you.

1) If I were to dremel away the preforated metal that sits in that hexagon, would that bring down the noise level?
If it's more restrictive than the honeycomb-type of fan grill, then yes, removing it will likely help. Restrictive grills, especially ones that are right up next to the fan, lower the efficiency of the fan and create more noise.
2) Is there a such thing as a quiet, but high cfm fan?
The two tend to be mutually exclusive. Higher CFM means higher rotational speed, which generates more motor noise and more air turbulence. If you want quiet, you'll need to get a fan that rotates slower. You can also run the fan you have at 5v or 7v to slow the rotational speed.

The other alternative is to use larger fans. A 120mm fan will push 50CFM much more quietly than an 80mm fan will.

Im guessing you have one of them fancy generic steel cases, that sound like a teen can when you kick it.

My advice to you, besides you using a slower and quieter fan, is go to Best Buy or a store a like, and get your self some Dynamat, and slap some of that magic stuff inside your case on the side panel, and any panels to which your fans are attached to.

One small sheet will be enough.

You know what, uglychild? I've been thinking about that for some time. But every time I get closer to buying it, I always read about how people start to have higher avg case temperatures after they install a good amount of it. What things have you noticed, temperature wise, while you had that stuff installed?

for me, i dun care what my computer sounds like:) as long as it performs ... lets go 12s super pi 1m

p.s. -- i have a a/c blowing into my case for a fan:)

I dont see how it would increase temps in the first place, because it doesnt reduce airflow, it reduces noise.

You dont have to use a lot of it. Just a small piece around a fan will do. So take a square piece, in the center cut a hole for the fan, and just slap it on. You can use a "speaker kit" that has center already precut.

10415_speaker_kit_xtreme_new_zoom.jpg

Go to the depot and grab yourself a roll of flashing. Same stuff as car sound proofing and put it all in your case. Samething as all those fancy dynamat stuff with half the cost.

You can also use it in your car.

Back