• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sticky white thermal paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

I was wondering if its good for thermal paste to be really sticky? because i had bought some cheap ones on ebay and used them for my brother's cpu and when we tried to take it of, the cpu came off as well with the heat sink, and i had to slide the cpu for it to come off the cooler, it seems like glue in a way? What do you guys think?

this has happened to me with just about any paste and a large flat heatsink base just gotta remember to not pull too hard just turn and slide before you pull it.

It happens, it's like glue that never dries. It creates a vacuum when you lift straight up. Moving the cooler back and forth and even a bit of prying is sometimes needed.

And yes, it's 'sticky' for lack of a better term.

I dont know if it was just the one i was using since i had like 6 of them, but i use them on the ps3's and its ok, but its like, liqudy when i applied it on. Would that be the reason?

Sure. It sticks. Don't need to put a lot of thought into it, just have to use the right removal methods.

Some of them dry out, some don't.

It's all about how you take it off basically.

I had put the thermal on it like probably a few weeks prior to removing the original paste, so it was kind of newish. Probably because it was cheap also? And i heard that the more silvery it looked the better? Like artic Silver or so?

nah what type of cpu was it? the larger ones such as amd or 478 chips i always had a problem with that happening. ive had it happen with all kinds of paste.

Yea, thats what happend, when he took it off since he bought a new psu that we think fried the mobo, one of the pin was broken already, but how much % of alcohol do you recommend? i have now a 91% alcohol bottle.

it's 'sticky' for lack of a better term.
a129.jpg
k2.jpg

Back