• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still another way to attach a spot fan to cool VRM area

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Newb overclockers often are at a loss as to how to attach spot fans when we suggest they need extra cooling to the VRM area. And of course the variety of shapes and configurations of VRM heatsinks means that no one way will work. So, here's another approach to that challenge when the heat sink has no flat area for adhesives and the fins are all vertical. This method involves two short screws that grip the walls of the fins with a stout rubber band stretched between them. The rubber band is then stretched over the corners of t he fan on the underside so as not to interfere with the blade rotation. This is being employed on an ASRock 970 Extreme 4 which I am planning to pair with a Zambezi 4130 and overclock. My biggest concern is that the rubber band will break and I suppose one could use small zip ties or something instead. But the tension produced by the rubber bands is nice. Maybe some small coil springs would also work and be less likely to fail.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    932.2 KB · Views: 9,964
I'd guess that in the long run, especially in a hot environment, the rubber band's elasticity will fail.

Great idea. Give it some time and the rubber band is gonna break. At one point I did not have zipties or clips on my cpu heatsink and I tried rubber bands. They worked great but eventually they broke!

Back