• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Stock cooler better than aftermarket?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok i solved the problem. I took away the heatsink again, only to find that the thermal paste was not fuly smudged out! So i moved one of the mounting brackets in and applied new thermal paste after a thorough cleanse and voila! Now im idling at 41C instead of 50!

That OEM case either Dell, Hp, Compaq is limiting the air intoflow inside the case causing stagnent warm air. My thinking is that the bracket on the back of the mobo isn't correctly installed limiting the pressure being applied to the heatsink. The only way you would get higher temps is by poor cpu contact or bad air air flow. I would buy a cheap aftermarket case that allows better cable management and increasing air flow to your components. The artic cooler you have on your gpu is just dumping hot air into your case and with nowhere to go it gets pulled through the cpu heatsink causing higher temps. antec 300 is a good cheap case that has plenty of room and air flow. good luck.

Ok i solved the problem. I took away the heatsink again, only to find that the thermal paste was not fuly smudged out! So i moved one of the mounting brackets in and applied new thermal paste after a thorough cleanse and voila! Now im idling at 41C instead of 50!
Bad mounting strikes again. :)

Glad you found the issue.

A suggestion now is getting that idle temperature down 41 is pretty high. Unless you live in a hot climate.

A suggestion now is getting that idle temperature down 41 is pretty high. Unless you live in a hot climate.

I live in sweden which is a cold country. But the case has these paddings on the sides for noise-dampening and is causing restriction in airflow. I am getting a new case very soon though.

Back