• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock Or Aftermarket Heatsink For i7-4771

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

Hi,

I have a few questions for those of you who own an i7 Haswell CPU and use the stock heatsink. I just purchased the i7-4771 but I've yet to buy the motherboard, I am still researching that. I got the i7-4771 at a great deal is why I went ahead and purchased it.

Here is what I will be doing with my new build. I will be playing Battlefield 4 and possibly helping out with some live streaming events as well. I will also be editing videos with this new build.

So, the following are some questions for you all.

1. Do you find the stock heatsink acceptable or should I get an after-market cooler? If so, which one would you recommend?

2. Is the stock heatsink fan loud?

3. Lastly, should I invest in some "quality" thermal paste, or will the pre-applied thermal paste be just fine on the stock heatsink?

4. What is considered normal operating temps for the i7-4771 and what is considered high?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

1. Logic should tell one it is acceptable. The cooler is made to work with their chips at stock speeds, so yep!
2. Nope. There are louder and quieter on the market.
3. Pay a few bucks for some MX-2.
4. Normal depends on so many things (ambient temps/mounting/TIM used, case airflow), there isn't one. Keep Haswell under 85C or so.

Will you be overclocking, and if so do you intend to reach maximum for your chip/motherboard combo?
Budget, computer case size and airflow, and your comfort level with the size, weight, and noise level determines "best" heatsinks.
Cooler Master 212 EVO has been popular, some feel Noctua has the quietest fans.
Generally in any price range a half a dozen or more coolers are close in performance, which is on sale may determine choice. Or particular qualities.

That isnt a very overclockable setup. The CPU's multi is locked to turbo, and bclk is VERY limited, right?

Stock clocks = stock cooler. Try it... If it is too loud, the hyper 212 evo is a great performer and is quieter than stock for $25-30.

Back