• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange CPU Fan twitching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Estelle

I just got back from a 2 month trip to find my computer very much dead. :cry: I click the power button and it turns yellow and sits there staring at me and laughing. The CPU fan will do a tiny little twitch, but that is all. Thought it might be a power supply issue, I was wrong and am going to return the new one I bought tommorow.

After a week or so of studying up and narrowing down what my problem is (my computer knowledge being very low is why it took so long), ive figured out it must be the power supply not getting the power-good signal. I used the test button on my power supply on all parts indiviudually. HD/floppy/cdrom/motherboard all worked fine. It was the extra processor power supply, that 4 prong cable that did not test correctly.

Im am really clueless as to what this means to me. Does it mean my fan is broken? Or is my CPU ruined? Or perhaps it is my motherboard(my reason for making this post here)? For the first time ive noticed that two capacitors very near the CPU are in fact leaking.

Has anyone had similar problems or know what is wrong? Just wondering how much I am going to need to replace. Narrowing it down to the cpu fan, cpu or mb does not help me much :rolleyes: Just hoping I dont have to drop a lot of money right now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is my system information by the way...
http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/docs.asp?sn=0025118940

If the caps on your mobo are leaking it means your mobo is fried. That link says your warranty has expired so you're going to need to buy a new mobo on your own. I couldn't find any information on what processor you're running so you'll need to tell us so we can make some suggestions for a new mobo.

Back