• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Strange occurrence after clearing CMOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jake1715

Registered
This is really weird, or at least I think so. Yesterday, I overclocked my AMD Phenom II 955 BE x4 just for the sake of doing so. I got to thinking about it today, and decided I was just going to put the multiplier back to its original spot because I really don't need the overclock. BUT, I couldn't enter the BIOS no matter what I did. So I cleared the CMOS. This is where it got strange.

Before, when I started my computer, my GPU fan and the case fan I have set as the system fan would automatically jump to max RPMs. I was forced to use SpeedFan to adjust them. After clearing CMOS, the fans actually ran at a normal speed. 70% on the case fan, and 50% on the GPU fan. Another BUT, SpeedFan would not work. Some drivers automatically installed, so I rebooted. THEN, my computer would not boot at all..

So I cleared CMOS AGAIN, and now everything is back to normal. All my fans jump to max RPMs, and I can use SpeedFan to control them. I was able to enter BIOS after clearing the CMOS, I have yet to try and access it by hitting Del at the splash screen again.

What the hell happened? :confused: I have an MSI 785GM-E51

Last edited:
Sounds like the CMOS didn't reset cleanly, maybe? To be sure you can power the system down, unplug in, and remove the motherboard battery. Move the jumper (or button, or whatever) to the reset position for about 10 seconds. Hit the computer power button a couple of times to discharge the PSU, too. When that's all done, but the battery back in and start it up. It should be all sparkly clean. :)

Alright I just might. But how do I know which is sparkly clean? My fans running all at 100% just as it all did from the first start up and I could use SpeedFan? Or all the fans running at moderated speeds as it never did before but seems normal and cant use SpeedFan? :eh?:

I don't know, really. Whichever one you get after you pull the battery and go through those steps. CMOS settings are maintained in memory that must be powered, so by removing every power source from the board you're sure to flush it.

I don't know, really. Whichever one you get after you pull the battery and go through those steps. CMOS settings are maintained in memory that must be powered, so by removing every power source from the board you're sure to flush it.

Ahh very true. I'll give that a shot (=

EDIT: I just removed the battery, switched the positive and negative for about 5 seconds like an MSI video instructed, moved the jumper for 10 seconds, loaded the optimized settings for BIOS, and my fans are cranking at 100%. So I guess that's how things are supposed to be :p Thanks a lot for your suggestion Johan!

Last edited:
Back