• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Sound Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lineman

Registered
TL;DR : After loading a linux thumb drive I've used many times my windows sound no longer plays through my speakers, however, will play through the laptops on-board speakers.

I'm hoping someone can help me with a strange issue I'm having with my sound. Here goes ...

- I have a persistent linux thumb drive that I loaded (done 100 times before) to run updates on. No issues or anything strange.
- Finish up with the thumb drive and load back into Windows. Notice I have no sound.
- Verify that all settings are correct, unplug my speakers and I have sound from my laptops speakers.
- Thinking my speakers may have gone up I load back into my linux thumb drive and the speakers work terrific.
- Load back into Windows and the speakers do not work. Verified the sound settings and even re-installed the audio drivers.
- Just for kicks and giggles I loaded up one of my VMware server machines and get sound from the speakers.
- I'm open to any suggestions why my speakers won't work in Windows when they will work in a VM and on my thumb drive OS. All settings checked, drivers updated, speakers verified to work. Laptop speakers work fine but all audio stops when I plug the speakers in.

My beer to patience ratio is tipping so hoping someone has an idea as to what's going on here

edit : Should have added > Laptop : Asus G74sx / OS : Windows 7

That indeed is a very weird issue.

When you load up Windows and don't have sound, and you unplug the speakers and get sound from the built in speakers, what happens when you plug back in the external speakers?

I can't tell from the Asus site what sound chip is being used, can you give that info?

Also, when unplugging or plugging in the external speakers, have you kept an eye on the "Playback Devices" window under the Volume Control icon?

When I get audio from the built in speakers then plug the external ones in the sound stops. The information box pops up saying "You just plugged a device into the audio jack".

The sound chip is Realtek

I have watched the "Playback devices" and nothing strange is happening. Also, the sound icon in the task bar still shows that the sound is still being played.

Have you changed any of the settings in HD Audio Manager? Maybe try lowering the default format to CD quality, and see if you get sound then? If so, then move it up until you don't get sound any more, and use the highest working format. If not, then I'm out of ideas.

I solved this issue by forcing my computer into sleep mode. After it came out of sleep mode the sound worked fine. Not even going to try to wrap my head around what caused it or why sleep mode fixed it. Stupid fix for a stupid problem, rofl.
Thank you Mpegger and Dlaw for your input :)

Back