• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck on a over clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamakasi

Ok specs

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Phenom II x4 955 BE
G.Skill Ripjaws 1333MHz 2x4GB DDR3
Hard drives
Water cooled
460 GTX Video card
Corsair CX600M PSU

Now at 1.4 VCore temp i can max multiplier at 18.5 x 200 = 3.7GHz

If i raise voltage it shuts computer off. Think this is because of power supply? I would like to hit 4.0GHz

Thanks

Rusty

If i raise voltage it shuts computer off. Think this is because of power supply?
If there is something wrong with it then possibly but I wouldn't think it's the psu.

When you say the computer shuts down when you go above 1.4 can you be more specific?
Does it post?
Does it make it to windows and BSOD?
Are you using a program to overclock while in windows?

Yes. i am using Ai Suite just to get a ball park where to start in bios. When i set CPU voltage up to say 1.40 to 1.40625 (next step up) then run prime it will shut computer off after about 1-2minutes.

Time to take off the training wheels and do it in the bios... see if that makes a difference.

I've got five bucks on AI Suite messing crap up.

On that note, just uninstall it, its worthless.

Your overclock is unstable, that's all. It could be heat related. The Corsair H60 is a very small water cooler and may not be up to it. A lot of people don't realize that water cooling is not automatically better than air cooling. And if the water cooler's pump block isn't making good contact with the CPU lid then for sure it won't be doing a good job.

Have you been tracking core and CPU socket temps when stress testing with Prime95? The accepted standard for this around here is HWMonitor (non pro version). If you have not done so, please download and install this software. Open it up on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 "blend" stress test. Make sure everything from the voltage section at the top to the core temps down below are in view. Adjust the interface frame if necessary to include those info lines. After the stress test is run then capture the HWMonitor image and include it as an attachment with your next post. Run the test at the using the last stable settings.

To attach a pic, first frame and crop it and save it to disk. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great fro this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

No no im using a water cooling setup like pump radiator piping cpu block . That kind

Also i bumped up vcore to 1.41

FSB 200 x 19 (was 18.5) still unstable. did this in bios.

I think my 1100T typically ran 3.9GHz @1.47V for 24/7 and went to 4.2GHz @1.52V for benching.

At any point have you tested an overclock for 2 hours of stability or are you just randomly setting the multiplier and then adding voltage?

Not for two hours. I run it for 15-20 mins each time unless it fails of course. But i can only do 200x19 so im running prime on that for now. Make sure it stable and go from there.

Rusty

Not for two hours. I run it for 15-20 mins each time unless it fails of course. But i can only do 200x19 so im running prime on that for now. Make sure it stable and go from there.

Rusty

Ok well this is the problem I have, 3.2 is your stock clocks. You are already up at 3.9, 20 minutes of prime is just tentative stability. I find when I really trying to push on my chip, that having a fallback # that I know is 2 hours stable makes going higher easier. What I feel you should do is work on getting something like 3.6-3.7 stable 2 hours, then work on pushing higher. The reason being is your chip may not be able to do 3.8-4.0 stable, this is probably not the case because most 955's will get up pretty high but you never know. Please post a screen shot of HWmonitor while it was under load of prime and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. It will give us an idea of what the system is doing.

Back