• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stuck on gpu waterblock installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimijames

ive got a gtx 980 evga superclocked video card and an xspc full coverage waterblock. cant seem to figure out how the waterblock is attached to the gpu, it says that the original backing plate for the gpu is needed only my card didnt come with a gpu backing plate, also there is a black spacer that run in between the card, am i suppose to remove this, this is a full coverage waterblock, any thoughts or help would be greatly apreciated. thx. here are some pics if this helps
rsz_20141105_113510.jpg rsz_20141105_113828.jpg rsz_120141105_115525.jpg
:bang head

that maybe, although both evga and xspc are both out of stock right know and they dont know when they will have more in stock so im wondering if i should just get video card that has the actual backing plate already installed, those are the cards that come with only 1 fan and blower style heatsink, any thoughts on the black piece that goes on top of the card, is that suppose to stay there when i install the waterblock or do i leave that part out?

good point, well i guess ill have to go about finding one of those darn backing plates. thx for your help

The waterblock, if it's the right one, will sit flush against all of the components like that black heatspreader you took off in the second pic. I've never seen a full cover block require a backplate though many offer them. It's mostly for looks.

Just make sure you use the proper thermal pads for the vrm and memory. My ek block had different thickness thermal pads for each of those jobs and getting them backwards would cause one component to run to hot and possibly cause pcb flex around the other depending on thickness.

If you have a card with a backplate already, worst case is that it's too thick for the screws that came with the block and you would need longer screws.

I'm not so sure you need a backplate either to use that block. Set the block on the card as a test fit and see if all the holes lineup. If they do then just screw it down from the back of the card.

Yeah, you don't need a backplate when installing a WB unless one came with one.

What exact model is this GPU to make sure you have the right block.

Did you use EK's Coolingconfigurator?

The xspc compatability pdf lists that block as compatible with both the 980 superclocked and the 980 acx 2.0 superclocked, as well as the non over clocked cards. It should work fine.

The xspc compatability pdf lists that block as compatible with both the 980 superclocked and the 980 acx 2.0 superclocked, as well as the non over clocked cards. It should work fine.

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that Trucker.

Back