• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuttering/Hitching in ALL games, really need help... please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope, I mean I used it once in one of the potential fixes I tried and it didn't work.

What about recent Microsoft updates that could have broken something. When you reinstalled did you check the problem before downloading all MS updates?

What about recent Microsoft updates that could have broken something. When you reinstalled did you check the problem before downloading all MS updates?
I didn't do that actually, I'll give that a shot on my other HDD.

Ok, one last thing you can try.... disable EIST and all C-States in BIOS. This will keep the CPU from throttling down even though it shouldn't be while gaming, but who knows...LOL Options should be available in the BIOS under CPU Power options, or something similar.

Unfortunately, neither of those ideas worked. This is nuts. I appreciate the help though.

Found the issue! Plugged my laptop into the monitor, same exact problem. It was the monitor the entire time, all that work was pointless!

I appreciate all your help guys! Thank you very much.

While all the work may have seemed worthless it really wasn't since it was a way of ruling things out that where more likely the issue. Glad to hear you have it figured out so you can move forward and thanks for letting us know what the issue was.

While all the work may have seemed worthless it really wasn't since it was a way of ruling things out that where more likely the issue. Glad to hear you have it figured out so you can move forward and thanks for letting us know what the issue was.
Yeah, true enough.

Man! I never realized a monitor going bad could produce that effect.

The... monitor??
Wow.

Glad you found the issue there OP. I had been scratching my head while watching this thread and couldn't think of anything.

Yeah I really did not expect that, but after trying everything else I realized it was the only thing not tested.

Yeah I really did not expect that, but after trying everything else I realized it was the only thing not tested.

Deductive reasoning wins again :thup:
Props for thinking to check the monitor, I know I wouldn't have thought to.

I think I ran the OP crazy last night with many different things to try. Swapping monitors never occurred to me either...LOL. Glad we have a happy ending anyway :)

Man! I never realized a monitor going bad could produce that effect.

Deductive reasoning wins again :thup:
Props for thinking to check the monitor, I know I wouldn't have thought to.

I'm in the same boat as you gentlemen, I would have never thought of the monitor being the issue. The thing that triggered maybe the mouse was him saying the thought it only happened when he was using the mouse. Other than that I would have still been chasing other things had it been me.

Guess your never to old to learn.

ASUS VS238H-P

So I have another puzzle... I just tested the monitor on an Xbox 360 and did not have the issue. At first I thought maybe the issue has to do with my monitors refresh rate and the 360 game is running at 30 FPS. So I tried locking my games to 30 FPS with radeonpro, but it made no difference. Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

EDIT: Alright so the game I tried on the 360 was Black Ops 2. So I decided to install and try playing CoD4 on my PC, and the issue is non existent just as it was playing CoD on the xbox. :shock:

Now I'm REALLY confused.

EDIT 2: Okay so I just tried another friends monitor instead, and now I actually have the same issue. This is absolutely infuriating.

So the games so far that this happens with are Planetside 2, HAWKEN, Battlefield 2, Farcry 3, and Metro 2033.
For some reason Call of Duty games, so I guess quake engine games, are fine.

Last edited:
Man this is really weird! Obviously, it's very game engine dependent. Have you tried it using VGA as well as DVI/HDMI?

+1 to trents

I would have assumed a driver issue as many others have. Also odd that the games you list as having problems are mostly "AMD Hype" games for the radeon series.

Which driver versions have you tried? 13.1? 13.12? beta 14.1/.2/.3?

Yeah I've tried VGA/DMI same issue. Turns out it's not the monitor. I have no idea what to do now... I've tested so much but the answer still isn't clear.

I've tried all of those drivers, it's made no difference. :(

At this point I think it's either the CPU, PSU, or the motherboard. I mean can the motherboard even cause an issue such as this?

I check my CPU readings and everything looks normal, I check my PSU voltages and everything looks normal. I just don't get it. :(

There's not a single spike or drop in the CPU readings when I hitch or stutter in a game. However, both my HDDs show spikes when it happens. Would that indicate a problem with both HDDs? Or maybe it's the SATA slots on the motherboard... But wouldn't the motherboard beep or come up with an error if that were the case?

Last edited:
Back