• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sub $100 PSU for my rig??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

Well I am in need of a new PSU, but I am a bit overwhelmed and confused :confused: on what to buy. There just seems to be more companies making PSU's than I remember (from a few years back when I last bought a PSU). And I know better than to just follow what adds say. I have some time to do some research, but due to my job as a handyman - this summer has me rather busy with work. So I am hoping to tap the knowledge of others in the know.
I know one should spend some decent money to get a decent PSU. But as it is I doubt I will be allowed to spend more than $100 (with out being crucified by wife)

Of course I need a PSU with enough head room to handle my rig (will be replacing a BFG 650).
MB: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
CPU: Phenom II X6 1100T (would like to OC....)
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) PC2-6400
GPU: Radeon HD 7750 2GB

Also 5 hard drives. 2 DVD RW drives. 1 140mm fan and 3 80MM fans. 3-5 thumb drives and occasionally a USB floppy drive.
Lastly a 12v relay to turn on/off the AC powered dual blower I use to cool the CPU and GPU. But I have no idea how much current the relay draws.

I am also willing to run dual PSU's. One High quality but lower watt PSU for the MB CPU and GPU and moderate quality PSU for everything else.

I am in no huge rush but looking to buy in a week or 2.

That is a new product then? We were always wondering where the 650W model was a couple/few weeks ago... then I saw the GS650 review and thought that was it.

Thanks!

That is a new product then? We were always wondering where the 650W model was a couple/few weeks ago... then I saw the GS650 review and thought that was it.

Thanks!

Yeah, pretty new. OW already reviewed one though.

If you don't mind used I can point out a couple... You kinda operate at your own risk with used equipment though. However I have recently been in the very same price bracket and noticed quite a few units from the "tried and true" list (check Earthdog's sig) for around your price range (add a bit for shipping though)

Here is one of the best deals I found on one of the best of the list though http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...8-3&keywords=Seasonic+platinum&condition=used

Edit: I went back to see if there might be a warranty left on the one I suggested and the damn thing rose in price! It was Definitely 95 + shipping when I posted, now 110 + shipping.

Last edited:
Unless the warranty comes over, or its from Oklahoma Wolf, I wouldn't buy a used PSU...

I'm kinda skeptical about it as well seeing as how important a PSU is (I've hear anyway :) ) but when a guy is looking for a bargain....

Also as far as the Supernova line goes, I've read that you ought to try and stick with the g2 series (there are others on there like the g1 that will fool you with a lower price tag) if your choosing for president quality. They are apparently not created equal.

Glad that you suggested it to someone else if you yourself was skeptical...:(

There is a difference between the G1 and G2, yes. That said, the Supernova series really isn't bad, its just not 'presidential' as you call it. :)

I'm kinda skeptical about it as well seeing as how important a PSU is (I've hear anyway :) ) but when a guy is looking for a bargain....

Also as far as the Supernova line goes, I've read that you ought to try and stick with the g2 series (there are others on there like the g1 that will fool you with a lower price tag) if your choosing for president quality. They are apparently not created equal.

All of the SuperNova lineup is at least good quality, with quite a few models reaching exceptional quality.

Glad that you suggested it to someone else if you yourself was skeptical...

Easy now, I was agreeing with you about used parts. I was just trying to say that I'd rather have something brand spanking new if my budget would permit as well, and the OP seemed to be similarly budget oriented. That unit I suggested only isn't in my rig as we speak because I found one for cheaper that is still carrying warranty :) I still wanted that platinum though! :)

Easy now, I was agreeing with you about used parts. I was just trying to say that I'd rather have something brand spanking new if my budget would permit as well, and the OP seemed to be similarly budget oriented. That unit I suggested only isn't in my rig as we speak because I found one for cheaper that is still carrying warranty :) I still wanted that platinum though! :)

$100 is PLENTY to get a very nice, brand new PSU.
Why should used even be considered here?

$100 is PLENTY to get a very nice, brand new PSU.
Why should used even be considered here?

I don't know where you shop, but I could only find used in the 650-700w + range for under $100. Especially for the Supernova. But I'll go ahead an bow out now I wasn't trying to be argumentative

I don't know where you shop, but I could only find used in the 650-700w + range for under $100. Especially for the Supernova. But I'll go ahead an bow out now I wasn't trying to be argumentative

You can buy direct from EVGA for this budget, much less an e-tailer.

1200W when you only need 25% of that? It wouldn't be running in the sweet spot ever...

That said read this: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=193

Summary

As only the second 1200 watt unit I've tested to clear 80 Plus Gold, Coolermaster's latest and greatest just barely squeaks itself into a recommendation. This is fitting, for it only barely cleared 80 Plus Gold, and only barely kept ripple in spec in all tests where ripple mattered. Honestly, scoring this one was tough. I didn't like the mediocre ripple suppression, but I loved watching it laugh at forty eight degree temperatures in the hot box too. Is this the best 1200 watt power supply out there? No. Not even close. But I have to say the price is right and you could easily do worse.

The Good:

efficient
handled temperatures at full power well in excess of rated temp spec
regulated even better hot than it did cold
decent price
The Bad:

ripple, ripple, ripple... somebody at Coolermaster must like butterscotch ripple ice cream an awful lot
The Mediocre:

fan gets loud if you push the unit

Id rather you look at one of the new units we suggested with a warranty versus a 5 year old (when the PSU came out) PSU out of warranty and is massive overkill for any of your needs. Truth be told, as your rig sits in the sig. A quality 550W PSU would be plenty. So yeah, grab that G2 650W or something similar. Your current PSU should be fine honestly... why are you changing it in the first place?

Your current PSU should be fine honestly... why are you changing it in the first place?

Ive been having some odd "power related" issues that (based on what Ive read) seem to be evident of a bad or dieing PSU. For example when I push the power button fans spin up and then dies.. Random shut downs. Or just wont turn on.....have to wait hours to days before it turns on again. (this has happened with 2 motherboards - different revisions of the same Gigabyte MB - the issues became most prevalent after I upgraded to the 1100T CPU)
► Now I have had to splice some of the wires due to insufficient length. I intend to completely remove the unit and check all splices to make sure there is no shorts (but I am extremely careful when I make any electrical splice) - I also should check the relay that turns on the blower...Possibly replace.
I have ordered a PSU tester to help diagnose any possible issues. But that wont arrive until next week. I also intend to check it with my Multimeter.

One other thought I have is: Could I be overloading one of the 12v rails? How does one know witch rail they are using? (since I assume that it should be as balanced as possible)

Back