• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sub $100 PSU for my rig??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's very possible that you're making the motherboard's VRM overheat and shut down the system.
The 1100T takes some power, and that motherboard has a *much* less than stellar VRM.

It's very possible that you're making the motherboard's VRM overheat and shut down the system.
The 1100T takes some power, and that motherboard has a *much* less than stellar VRM.
Do you think adding heat-sinks to the VRM might help? (cant see it hurting anything)

Now that I think about it, I am surprised that MB manufactures don't heat-sink all VRM's. I have started dabbling with building my own Audio amplifiers - including the power supplies. And I know that the voltage regulators get hot under load. No heat-sink = fried component. (learned the hard way during a test...)

Last edited:
No its not a bad deal, barring what EarthDog and ATMINSIDE said ( I was looking at a Silent Pro until I read that very same review) but you could have a new unit for the same price. A PSU is a depreciate part. Like a car. Would you buy a used car when a new o e was just a little more and the new one might suit your needs better. Now should disclaimer that with the fact that I don't know a whole lot about PSU ''s.... But I know a whole lot about stretching a dollar. Unless that extra $10 is buying your ride to work tomorrow or some other more urgent necessity, put it into your psu.
However if what these guys had to say didn't scare you about used hardware, I seriously suggest going through an seeing what you can find on the most common e-tailers. The link in Earthdog's sig is to the right thread.... Hell I picked out one at random and came up with this
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Earthwa...d=1436464861&sr=8-3&keywords=Antec+earthwatts

Might be okay? But it's for sure in your price range.... And brand new

The Erthwatts is fine, but the EVGAs listed, particularly the G2 for the same exact price and much longer warranty, is better. ;)

Do you think adding heat-sinks to the VRM might help? (cant see it hurting anything)

Now that I think about it, I am surprised that MB manufactures don't heat-sink all VRM's. I have started dabbling with building my own Audio amplifiers - including the power supplies. And I know that the voltage regulators get hot under load. No heat-sink = fried component. (learned the hard way during a test...)

It should. Airflow over the area will help as well.

The Erthwatts is fine, but the EVGAs listed, particularly the G2 for the same exact price and much longer warranty, is better. ;)

This +100

Get it from the newegg link...?

EDIT: Buy the G2 then... its the same price ($94)... er the GS650...

All the OCN guy was trying to say is "don't be confused" and thank that all Supernova are equal. He says right St the end that the ones e is talking about are simply mediocre. They won't set your house on fire or anything.

Ive been having some odd "power related" issues that (based on what Ive read) seem to be evident of a bad or dieing PSU. For example when I push the power button fans spin up and then dies.. Random shut downs. Or just wont turn on.....have to wait hours to days before it turns on again. (this has happened with 2 motherboards - different revisions of the same Gigabyte MB - the issues became most prevalent after I upgraded to the 1100T CPU)
► Now I have had to splice some of the wires due to insufficient length. I intend to completely remove the unit and check all splices to make sure there is no shorts (but I am extremely careful when I make any electrical splice) - I also should check the relay that turns on the blower...Possibly replace.
I have ordered a PSU tester to help diagnose any possible issues. But that wont arrive until next week. I also intend to check it with my Multimeter.

One other thought I have is: Could I be overloading one of the 12v rails? How does one know witch rail they are using? (since I assume that it should be as balanced as possible)

I'm confused? Can the vrm cause these problems? Fans acting like that at startup couldn't be caused by heated vrm.... Unless they were already heated I guess. But I read it to say that his machine won't start from a long period of non use. Mobo has been switched as well. .

Will testing with a multimeter reveal a dying psu? Or will it just reveal how well the box puts out voltage on each rail, and you would only see the problem if you happened to have it hooked up as it "dies"

that it doesn't start up.. but wasn't sure of it was after a shutdown
Regardless, those vrms need cooled.

The psu tester, like a multimeter, would only tell voltages and if they are in spec. Voltage can be in spec and ripple etc out of control so....not sure what that will help.

Last edited:
Could have bought from NCIX for $115 and then gotten a $20 MIR.

Back