• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Submitted for your approval: my WC set-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wireless-G

Registered
I've done quite a bit of research on forums, and I've landed on a setup that seems to be pretty top notch. I'm not sure if I'll need a bigger radiator, though

Here's what I got:

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra
A64 3000+
XFX GF 6600GT
Antec Mid-Tower Case
Several Noisy Fans

Here's my proposed WC setup:

Corsair Cool ($170)
- CPU WB similar to Swiftech MCW6000
- Laing DDC pump
- reservoir similar to Swiftech MCRES-525
- radiator similar to Black Ice Pro
- Panaflo L1A
- radbox for attaching radiator to back exhaust port
- 3/8" tubing and other bits

Swiftech MCW50 GPU WB ($40)

Swiftech MCW20 Chipset WB ($40)

TOTAL: $250
------------------------

The chipset on this board runs rather hot, and one reviewer actually fried his during testing, so I think the MCW20 is necessary. The Corsair Cool is a great deal at $170 for all the high quality and useful stuff you get. The only drawback is that the BIP may not be enough radiator for all three WB's. I'm hoping someone with experience with the BIP could offer their opinion. I'm most concerned with reducing noise, but I'd like to overclock, too. So if the BIP isn't enough, I would sell it and get a BIP II and another L1A bringing the total to $280.

Any thoughts?

I would sell the BIP and get a BIP2. The Bip would be plenty to cool a single chip, but with 2 or more blocks in the loop you want to increase your radiator size.

Very curious about the NB on that motherboard. Are you sure the reviewer just didn't fry the board through negligence, or possible might have gotten a bad board? Most of us here are of the opinion you don't need to WC your NB.

Jas said:
Most of us here are of the opinion you don't need to WC your NB.

Most, but not all! :) If your priority is for silence does it not make sense to eliminate one more fan? (assuming this Mobo has a fan)

I really think you could put together a better system than the corsair cool for only a little more money
Swiftech MCW6002-64 1/2ID (if they ever come in stock) $40
Chipset Block $40
GPU Block ( I would get a Danger Den, but whatever) $40
BIPII (dual 120mm) $50
Swiftech MPC 350 $70
Danger Den T Line $10
2xYate Loon Fans (Very good) $11
Tubing $10

Total $270

That will give better cooling and is only a little more.

I don't doubt the guy who burned out his NF4 was being negligent, but I still think it needs more cooling than what it came with, which was a crappy aluminum passive heat sink. I replaced it with a small Vantec copper HSF. But in the spirit of eliminating noise(I'd like to have the radiator fan(s) be my only ones) I'd want to include it in my WC circuit.

whitebloodcell, I'm curious as to what retailer(s) has those products at those prices, or are those just your estimates? That's basically what I had in mind for a 120x240 radiator set-up, but with less expensive fans and a couple bucks knocked off everything else. I'm still not convinced about using 1/2" ID tubing versus 3/8" and a T-line versus a Reservoir, and I like the Corsair Cool because it comes with everything I want(pump, reservoir, CPU WB, radbox, tubing, fan) except the BIP II and another fan. But if I could find all that stuff at the prices you're giving, I'd buy it that way. I'm afraid, though, that in buying stuff from multiple retailers the deal would be lost due to multiple shipping costs.

for your 6600 a single rad is not a problem dont WC a NF4 chipset its not worth it :p i say get a painted heater core from voyeurmods.com, be sure to grab a shroud while your there. they have lots of good WC goodies at great prices, you can put together a whole WC setup on VM :attn:

i'd suggest getting a DFI board instead of Chaintech, DFI is pretty much the highest quality maker around, w/ amazing BIOS options

Why not just get a kit from danger den or swiftech? Their qualities are probably better than corsair with similar pricing.

The chaintech should be just fine so long as he doesn't plan to use Winbond memory. The Corsair Cool kit uses Swiftech parts (the CPU block for instance) so its like a Swiftech kit with a few differences so its unlikely there will be any big difference in quality between it & the Swiftech & DD kits.

Yeah the only differences between the Corsair Kit and the Swiftech Kit is that the CPU WB has 41 less pins in the Corsair(240 versus 281) and it comes pre-clamped to the tubing versus the "quick connects" the on the Swiftech. And it's 3/8" ID tubing only, whereas with the Swiftech you can choose between 3/8" ID and 1/2". From the reviews I've read, these seem like very minor differences. And as I said, I'm not convinced that 1/2" ID is better than 3/8".

By the way, I already own the Chaintech board and I've found the BIOS to be very responsive, once I figured out how to use it. I reached 300HTT, and with a better cooling solution and 166Hz memory divider, I should be run my 3000+ stable at 2.7GHz. Right now I'm running at 240HTT and 2160Mhz at stock voltage (1.4 V). Past about 2300Mhz, it needs more voltage and starts to run a little too hot for the AMD cooling solution. On this board you can't set the voltage to anything in-between 1.45 and 1.6 volts, but by the time you get up there you need more than that anyway.

My main worry right now is that the single BIP won't be enough to cool the CPU, GPU and Chipset. I'm considering adding a Passive Radiator like the WACC: http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cooling/liquid/wetchill/dradpares/index.shtml

Wireless-G said:
My main worry right now is that the single BIP won't be enough to cool the CPU, GPU and Chipset. I'm considering adding a Passive Radiator like the WACC: http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cooling/liquid/wetchill/dradpares/index.shtml

That passive radiator is nothing more than a slightly modified aluminum single pass transmission cooler, which sell for about US$30 on ebay. The main problem with these, in case you didn't catch it above, is that they're made out of aluminum. Mixing aluminum and copper is a no-no, and just asking for corrosion problems. If you add something like this to your system make sure to add lots of anti-freeze or other additive to prevent corrosion.

No, those aren't estimates. Rounded by a few cents or a dollar but accurate enough. I have been researching my own WC Project for a while now and those are the prices I found. I'll give the URLs

Swiftech MCW6002-64 1/2ID (if they ever come in stock) $40 http://www.svc.com/mcw6002-64-28.html
Chipset Block $40
Wherever you found it
GPU Block ( I would get a Danger Den, but whatever) $40
Ditto
BIPII (dual 120mm) $50
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/blackiceproii.html
Swiftech MPC 350 $70
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9335
Danger Den T Line $10 (Could you build a T Line?)
www.voyeurmods.com
2xYate Loon Fans (Very good) $11
http://store.yahoo.com/pctekonline/12x12cmcasefan.html (Only place I could find them, at all. Though good Price)
Tubing $10
Primoflex 1/2 ID @ $.99 per foot. www.voyeurmods.com

It seems to me like paying five different shipping charges from all those retailers is going to put you close to $300 total anyways.

I need to research radiators a little more, but I still think I can build a great system around the Corsair Cool. Do you guys think a Black Ice Pro would sell on ebay? I don't see any on there currently or recently completed. What I'd really like to do is find a retailer who sells Corsair Cools as well as Black Ice Pros and Panaflo L1A's. Then maybe I could convince them to take the BIP and the L1A out of the box and knock $40 or so off the price, so that way I woudn't have to sell it myself. This is probably a pipe dream, though...

That's a cool configurator. For some reason, though, the Black Ice Pro II is $72 in the configurator but $51 a la carte. The Swiftech 5.25" Reservoir is also $22 versus $17. Probably their way of reclaiming the discounts on the other stuff.

My opinion.

Get the Corsair kit. Sell the BIP, and get a new RAD. It seems to have everything you are looking for, and at $170 its going to be hard to beat the overall price.

If you want to save some money, look at getting a heatercore instead of a prefab RAD. If I'm not mistaken you can get a Weapon core with shroud for around $80.

You will want to contact Weapon. Or post enough to get 3 stars and check out the classified section.

I'll check out the Weapon core. I was wondering if this forum had a classified section. Perhaps a good place to list the BIP...

I don't think I can post-***** up to 3-stars though...

If you want to put water to the Chipset, do what makes you happy.

But know this, any cooling only works when there is a difference in temp between the hot and the cold. The DeltaT in other words.

If the DeltaT is low, then there really isn't any heat exchanging going on. Furthermore, the block will add some more pressure drop and slow the flow rate. And as the flow rate slows, the water temp increases as the CPU and GPU blocks both are less efficient. And thus, you are back to lowering the DeltaT.

Remember that just going to the water cooling for the CPU and GPU is going to move a lot of heat outa your case and increase the effectiveness of the existing NB cooling.

With that appeal to my knowledge of Thermodynamics, you have caused me to reconsider the Chipset WB. dQ = mcdT. Adding the chipset to the loop requires me to increase the size of the radiator. I guess I'm just paranoid about burning out my chipset.

Maybe I should just go for the Corsair Cool and a GPU WB. The BIP should be able to handle these two, right?

Wireless-G said:
I'll check out the Weapon core. I was wondering if this forum had a classified section. Perhaps a good place to list the BIP...

I don't think I can post-***** up to 3-stars though...

It doesnt take that long. Only 100 Posts. I did it within 3 days of joining. I had waaaaaayyyy to much free time to browse the forums.

Back