• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a CPU Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gokulpanchal

Hi there I m building a new PC. The CPU is i72600K and the motherboard is Asus P8-Z68 V Pro. The question is I have ordered G.skill Ripjaws X Ram along with the RAM Fan (cooler). So are there any coolers which are good for overclocking and can also accompany the RAM Cooler fan. Currently I m planning to get the Noctua NH-D14 or Thermaltake FRIO OCK. But the problem is that these are Coolers are huge. And I think the RAM fan wont fit with it. Are there any suggestions about how can I solve this problem or should I just say no to the RAM fan.

I would suggest getting a MUX-120 and maybe picking up 1-2 of the Thermalright FBD-1600 fans if you don't think the stock fan moves quite enough air. The TR-FBD-1600 is the fan that comes with the retail TRUE Rev. C and is quite effective and pretty quiet. With the MUX-120 you should have plenty of clearance between the ram slots and the cooler and it's a pretty effective cooler.

Also ED, he might not have any choice on getting that ram fan with his G. Skill kit too. I know that I bought a set of Ripjaws DDR3-2133 a couple of months ago and they only sold it with the fan. I guess that's the only way they can come close to making any profit off it right now. I say that because that fan cooler that comes with the Ripjaws is one cheap piece of crap. Mine is still sitting in the box because it's not needed and it's pretty damn cheap and ghetto looking, IMO.

BTW gokulpanchal, my Ripjaws run just fine without that fan thing and at it's rated speed and timings with 1.65v set and they don't run too hot, so don't be afraid to run them without that stupid fan thing. That one that comes with G. Skill's ram is a real cheap piece of junk.

Righto mudd! That doesnt mean he has to use it was my point. Ram cooling is pointless as you know. That will in turn expand the selection of coolers he has to choose from. :)

Yeah, I know what you meant, ED. ;) I was just elaborating to the OP on why they aren't needed and that if you do go for the higher end G. Skills they make you pay for the damn ram cooler. And yes, not needing the ram cooler does expand his cooler choices quite a bit.:)

Back