• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for pump size on my setup...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octoman

I recently acquired a Danger Den Maze3 water block for my AMD setup.
It is moderetly OCed, it is a stock 2100+ 1.60v 1.73GHz @ 2700+ 1.65v 2.17GHz. My cooling setup is in my sig. I am usually about 12-15 C above the room ambent @ idle, with full load temps another 5-8 C higher, and the inside case temp is about 10C over the room ambient.

Here lately it has been between 25 and 30 C in my room and the temps are in line as above.

My question is this: With the Maze3 (1/2" fittings) and a chevette heater core what size pump should I use? Due to my budget I will most likely be purchasing one of the Hydor pumps form Danger Den. As my current plans go I will mount, somehow, the heater core inside my pc and blow air out of the pc through the heater core. To help with cool air, I plan on cutting a large rectangular hole in a case panel and use some filtering material to filter the air before it enters the pc. I plan on the hole being at least 12" x 3".

Secondly I would like to keep the noise down, reason for moving to water cooling. I also plan on using a 120mm x 38mm fan, with speed adjustment. And include the pumps inside the pc case.

So thus, which pump should I use? How much noise difference is there between the L20 and L30 pumps?

Thanks for the help.

For the size, performance, and price, the L30 is a great deal. I don't have any experience with it's younger brother. It's been quiet for me, thus far at least (I've only had it up and running for about two weeks). That said, I do have some questions about it's sturdiness and long-term reliability. I've already cracked the blue plastic fastener on the outlet barb (I've no idea how), and some have complained that the impeller can come loose and start to rattle. There are enough people out there that have had positive experiences with these pumps that I figured, "Why not?" but if you don't want to take any chances, you should probably go with one of the Eheim varieties.

If your only running a single block, the heatercore flows really well, I'd think a L20 or Eheim 1048 would be sufficient...

DP

Back