• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for slim 360 Radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hi all,

I bought a new Corsair 750D case and wanted to install my water cooling system. During install, I realized that my XSPC RX360 with 3 gentle typhoon fans won't fit up top in the spot allocated for the radiator. It puts a slight pressure on my 8-pin cpu power connector on the motherboard. I'm pretty bummed about it since it's fairly new. Now it's off to the classifieds and I guess I'll have to go with a slim line radiator.

I've done some brief research and it seems some of the slim lines can still perform well. It looks like the swiftech MCR360XP rads perform very well and the RS line isn't far behind. I'm using gentle typhoon 1850rpm fans. Will these work with the XP series radiator?

Anyone have experience with these or suggestions?

My loop will cool an i7-920 overclocked mildly and a 480GTX. Both run hot. I have a second radiator in the loop which is a swiftech 220QP in a sort of push/pull setup. I say sort of cause I'm using the stock 2 140mm fans to push air in while the 2 yate loons pull.

CPU block - Apogee XT (secondary config for compression fittings)
GPU Block - EK acetal 480GTX full coverage block.
Pump - swiftech D5 vario

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ap-15s will work excellently with the swiftech xp rads, and according to testing done at martinsliquidlab at 600 and 1000rpm the rx rad wins at 1400rpm the rx is about tied with the xp and at 1800rpm the xp pulls ahead of the rx by a few %.

Im currently cooling my haswell and 290 on a swiftech qp rad with 4 ap-14s, you should be more than fine with 120.5, even allowing for how much more heat a 920 dumps than a 4670k.

If I had to get a slim 120mm rad, it would be a swifty. QP vs XP would depend on build goals, thermal load, etc etc etc.

First, will the XP create more noise with the higher fin density over the QP? Or will it be pretty minimal?

Second, I'm using one D5 pump, will it be enough to go through the XP since it's a higher restriction rad? Or will it be that big of a difference from the QP?

With GT 14's or 15's, I would go with an Alphacool ST30. You may want to visit MartinsLiquidLab to check out all the rads.

It has great thermals and a very low fpi. They are my primary rads outside of HWLabs SR-1's. I run my GT-14's at 600rpm on mine.

Just a what if, but can you mount the GT Ap 15's outside the case in a pull configuration? It may not be aesthetically pleasing to look at but at least you can use the rad you have?!

My only problem with mounting the fans on the outside is that there will be a 1/4" gap between the rad and fans and I'd have to worry about something falling into the fan from my desk since it sits next to it.

I'll take a look at Martin's Lab. Anyone have an idea if flow restriction will be a problem?

GMdoubleG, I'm just grasping at straws here because I don't know the case but could you use something like this gasket to put between the rad and the grill to make up for the gap. Then grills on the fans?

That's a good idea. The gasket and grills would work.

Now I just have to decide whether I am ok with with design esthitically.

Where can I locate the total watts of heat I'll need to dissipate for my loop? I'll be OCing the 920 but no voltage bump and stock with the 480.

You're looking at 130w for CPU and 250w for GPU. Figure around 350+w. Those Fermi's do run hot.

With GT 14's or 15's, I would go with an Alphacool ST30. You may want to visit MartinsLiquidLab to check out all the rads.

It has great thermals and a very low fpi. They are my primary rads outside of HWLabs SR-1's. I run my GT-14's at 600rpm on mine.

I am running the ST30 in my 750D with a 220 mounted in front just like yours, using the 2 stock 140 fans. These 2 rads are cooling my 3930k at 4.5 and 2x 7970s. No heat problem here. Fans on the ST30 are Corsair SP120s.

I have used the swiftec mrc 3x120 rads with my 8 core fx processors to good result, if a bit noisy at high clocks, but I don't think your intel will run nearly as hot.

I am running the ST30 in my 750D with a 220 mounted in front just like yours, using the 2 stock 140 fans. These 2 rads are cooling my 3930k at 4.5 and 2x 7970s. No heat problem here. Fans on the ST30 are Corsair SP120s.

Curious to know what your ambient, idle, load and delta are. Seem with a setup like that you're pretty underraded.

Back