• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions to my pc + monitor build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ellesbyte

Hey guys, I'm putting a new PC together, which (I hope) should work well together with my new monitor, ASUS Rog Swift PG348Q (100 Hz, G sync).
I'd love if you guys could take a look at it and see if it will function well enough. I will mainly use it for gaming, such as PUBG, WoW and Battlefield 1 and I'm not looking to have graphics on ultra, but more around med/high.

CPU: i5-8400
GPU: GTX 1080-8G Asus Rog Strix
Memory: 16GB Gaming Ram
Motherboard: Asus Prime B360M
SSD: 240GB Kingston A400
Power: 550W 80+ Gold (Corsait TX550M)
Windows 10

Would like to hear what you think of this build and if it's enough to take advantage of the monitor.

Cheers!

Last edited:
4k at 100 refresh, 8600K cpu at least and a 1080ti is where i'd start looking.

It's a 3440x1440 monitor, not 4k. I don't believe they even exists yet (100 Hz) :eek: I guess this is just 2k?

Last edited:
best I can remember I tried to push 2 2560x1440, 120 refresh monitors with 2 1080's in sli fed by a 6800K at 4.5 and came up short on cpu.
maybe earthdog will poke his head in and work the math, he was in on that thread.

you'll be pushing almost 5 million pixels, I was trying to push just over 7 million pixels.
if I'm right you will not reach 100fps without turning the eye candy back a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you deadset on Intel? AMD has six core CPUs for significantly less, with hyperthreading. You can also overclock for cheaper.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BFr8jy

This is an alternative I would suggest. $1,300 for a great higher end system. The only way you could make it better is by jumping to a 1080Ti and a custom watercooling loop. The Ryzen 5 1600 is a fair bit cheaper than the 8400, leaving you a few extra dollars to throw into something like your CPU cooler. This'll keep you happy for quite a few years. And if you don't need the keyboard or mouse, take them off and save $100.

you'll be pushing almost 5 million pixels, I was trying to push just over 7 million pixels.
if I'm right you will not reach 100fps without turning the eye candy back a bit
If you mean, I can't play on all ultra setting and reach 100 fps that is very acceptable for me. Playing on med/high settings is enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you deadset on Intel? AMD has six core CPUs for significantly less, with hyperthreading. You can also overclock for cheaper.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BFr8jy

This is an alternative I would suggest. $1,300 for a great higher end system. The only way you could make it better is by jumping to a 1080Ti and a custom watercooling loop. The Ryzen 5 1600 is a fair bit cheaper than the 8400, leaving you a few extra dollars to throw into something like your CPU cooler. This'll keep you happy for quite a few years. And if you don't need the keyboard or mouse, take them off and save $100.

That is a very solid and cheap build. I could probably get used to AMD for that price :D But I live in Scandinavia and Amazon & Newegg prices with shipping is usually 50% increase in prices.
My last two builds has been Intel, so I'm most comfortable when picking out parts from them. Is AMD usually cheaper for the same performance? Also that would require a "free sync" monitor instead of G sync, right?

Or would it make more sense to go with a 2540x1440 monitor, so it will be less demanding?
It will just be a bummer if I can't utilize the 100 Hz that the monitor provides, with the graphics card I have chosen.

It will depend on the settings in the games really. I am sure you can turn things down enough to get there, but, is that why you bought this was to have games look like consoles? ;)

I'd grab a single 1080Ti for that resolution which gives you a better shot at reaching your desired FPS with less IQ sacrifices.

Not really :D I mean, having most settings on high and some on med works great for me. I can usually never see the difference, unless I REALLY try to. I think it's the ultra wide immersion that speaks to me, but yea will definitely depend on the game titles. The tests I have been able to find all do ultra, so it's kinda difficult to get an idea of med/high :/

Is it possible to set the resolution to 2540x1440 if a future AA game if too heavy? This will also serve as my TV, so movies, series and lighter games should be fine for the 3440x1440 resolution

Sure, but the IQ will be lower since it isn't running at its native resolution and 1:1 pixels.

I wouldn't want an ultra-wide like this for a TV personally. I'd stick with 2560x1440 and an Acer Predator... but, you have already made the purchase so... :)

I'm not a huge fan of Ultra-wide resolutions. Some games do not support it properly is one reason. :)

Last edited:
I'll take quality over fps any day.
I game gta-V with this redux add on that makes the game a true joy as far as eye candy goes.
with my 1080 and all the add ons that make it so nice, my 6800K @4.7 is really taxed, even at 2560x1440, 60fps, but it looks so grand!!!!!
and that's what I spent the dollars for!!!!!

I have an Asus PG279Q, and I'm able to run PUBG on ultra settings above 80fps. If you are going for a high refresh rate (above 60Hz), you're going to want a solid video card. I'm running a 1080Ti, and I wouldn't want less than that for my 144Hz monitor. If your hardware can't push enough pixels, there's no point getting a 100Hz monitor.

I'll take quality over fps any day.
I game gta-V with this redux add on that makes the game a true joy as far as eye candy goes.
with my 1080 and all the add ons that make it so nice, my 6800K @4.7 is really taxed, even at 2560x1440, 60fps, but it looks so grand!!!!!
and that's what I spent the dollars for!!!!!

I think GTA V is a CPU intensive title, isn't it?

I run a ton of add ons in gta-V, we even have tracks in the sky over the city, so everything is taxed very heavy.
turning off the texture add on when we game online reduces the cpu temp a solid 5 degrees, I can turn it off because the "world" is the sky and textures are not so important.
when on the ground is where it counts and adds to the eye candy.
on a single 1080 screen, the cpu really gets a workout, on 2-4 screens the gpus really start to build the heat, I don't really know how that all works and it seems a little strange to me the way the load shifts.

Back