• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aberration

Is the Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer still considered a good cooler?

As you can see in the sig, I have one on my 720BE setup.

I've got a buddy building a ASROCK Fatal1ty motherboard with an AMD 1100T BE that will see a mild overclock. We have 7" of clearance between the surface of the chip and the case.

If possible, we'd prefer to not have to buy an $80.00 cooler if the Sunbeam is still a viable cooler.

This is from Frostytech's most recent heatsink review:
http://frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2624&page=4

The Sunbeam is still basically as good as the best that they've tested. Yes, their numbers show a slight difference (about 13*C rise above ambient with a 125w heat load vs. around 11*C for the best they've tested), but it isn't statistically significant.

Without knowing what test equipment they're using, how (or even if) it was calibrated and how exactly they're deriving their ΔT numbers, I think that your best bet is just to assume that there won't be any real, significant difference between any heatsinks that performed within about +/- 1-2*C of each other in their testing.

That should be adequate; its just a run of the mill contact tower style heatsink. As long as it keeps the chip under 60C* it doesnt matter.

This is from Frostytech's most recent heatsink review:
http://frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2624&page=4

The Sunbeam is still basically as good as the best that they've tested. Yes, their numbers show a slight difference (about 13*C rise above ambient with a 125w heat load vs. around 11*C for the best they've tested), but it isn't statistically significant.

Without knowing what test equipment they're using, how (or even if) it was calibrated and how exactly they're deriving their ΔT numbers, I think that your best bet is just to assume that there won't be any real, significant difference between any heatsinks that performed within about +/- 1-2*C of each other in their testing.

Thanks for the link. I had looked at the site, but didn't find that particular page for whatever reason. When I built my machine 4+ years ago, the Sunbeam was what everyone was raving about based on price and performance. Glad to see not much else in the way of air cooling has trumped it by much.

Depends on whether you count closed loop coolers as air coolers or not. They don't win on price, but they do trump the top air coolers. Mind you, the same can be said of a proper water cooling kit over a closed loop.

Back