• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super glue vs. Arctic alumina

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Big_Baller said:
Yes one popular method is simply putting a small ammount of super glue on the corners and using a standard tim (arctic silver) on the rest of the chip. I have done this and it has worked moderatly well for me in the past. I did however attach my ram sinks with arctic alumina and I am pleased with it.

If I were you I would try the super glue approach 1st. If it dosn't work you can always take it off and sand away the super glue then apply the arctic silver alumina.

Im with you.

I'll see if I can upload a pic to show you how I got it rigged up with the electric tape and lemme know what you think. I have to go to work first (make some money you know). I'll be back around seven and upload the pic. I was wondering, since you can use thermal tape for the ram, why can't you use it for the gpu?

I use arctic silver 5 in the middle and stick it with hot glue. Hot glue won't melt at this temperature. so, i will hold it in place. By using hot glue, the removal is easier. I don't like super glue because most of them are acidic, you can actually smell the acidic fumes when it is in curing process. I just afraid that it will corrode the circuits.

When I get my Arctic alumina in the mail. Should I just remove all the thermal grease on the GPU and heatsink and just recover it with the new actic alumina? Or should I just leave the grease in the middle and put the arctic alumina around the edge of the GPU?? Or should I just mix the two together???

I think your crazy using arctic alumina adhesive to hold your GPU heatsink on. The arctic is very, very, very strong. You must not care about your video card. But yeah.....If your going to......

There will be two tubes that you will need to mix together (evenly). I generally just squirt a little out of each tube (1:1 ratio). Mix it up on something & then start applying it to whatever needs it.

If your don't care about the heatsink being permanently attached, then go ahead & cover the whole GPU. You may want to try using the corner method like others have tried just in case you want to get the heatsink off. Although most say taking your card & putting it in a antic-static bag, then popping it in the freezer works.........

**EDIT** You will want to remove all the grease no matter which route your going.

The reason I don't mind putting such strong adhesive on the GPU is cause I'll only be using this card until I need a new computer (which will be in a few years). The reason I don't care so much is cause the day I do get a new computer, I'll make sure it's got an AGP slot (mine doesn't). Once I do get my new computer I won't need my PCI 9100 anymore. The fan should last that long right? But to be safe, I'll follow your approach and only put the adhesive on the corners of the GPU. I just hope its strong enough to support that fan (that Iceberg is pretty heavy). Since you guys are telling me to remove all the grease, what the hell is the point of having thermal grease anyway?

Yes do remove the existing grease (tim) with isopropyl alcohol, acetone, or denatured alcohol. When removing grease I have found the higher purity alcohols (70% vs 90+%) to work noticeably better.

I used SuperGlue in the corners and AS 5 in the middle for my SB and memories of the video card.I also attached a fan w/ superglue on the stock HS of the videocard and all work just fine for 8 months now.

can i just put arctic alumina all over the GPU or must I also have arctic silver to place on the GPU??

Arctic Alumina is a epoxy and heat transferable product. So you wont need any other stuff besides just the Arctic Alumina.

From their website:

"Characteristics

Arctic Alumina Adhesive uses a layered
composite of aluminum oxide and boron nitride.

Arctic Alumina Adhesive is a pure electrical
insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive.

A set of Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive
consists of two tubes containing a total of
5 grams of adhesive (2.5 grams each of parts
A and B) and a plastic reusable mixing wand. (Approximately 3cc total adhesive.)

Although lighter per set than Arctic Silver
Adhesive due to its use of ceramics rather than silver, each set of Arctic Alumina Adhesive
contains the same amount of adhesive by
volume as a set of Arctic Silver adhesive
and will cover the same area.

Made with micronized aluminum oxide and boron nitride.
Arctic Alumina uses a layered composite of three unique shapes and sizes of ceramic particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer. This exclusive combination provides performance exceeding most metal based compounds."

Will work well for what you want, I have only myself done the superglue thing on the corners.

I was just wondering. What would happen if I used thermal tape on my GPU??? :)

Back