• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super slow Boot windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

Im getting a super slow boot in widows 10. It has been happening for a while but due to medical issues (ruptured disk) i havent got around to fixing it. I have done malware/virus scan nothing found. i just tried useing bootracer and am learning that i have a 317 sec boot time. specs are in sig. i have done safe boot and checked the boot ssd for errors, done all windows updates and driver updates with no change in results. In the event viewer im getting events 100, 101 but am unable to resolve it. i have stream lined the startup, set a fixed swap file of 8Gb and disabled fast boot in power setting and nothing has fixed this. I would like to not have to wipe and reinstall windows 10.

bootracer.jpg
event log 100.jpg
event log 101.jpg

One simple thing you can check: Go to control panel > device manager. Click on/Open all the + tabs and see if there are any yellow exclamation points next to any devices. Update these devices/find drivers for these devices because they slow down boot times.

Overclock going bad? I notice when my ram/mem controller is outside of stable, it'll take a while to load up for Windows and then usually bah!! Bsod!

I have found windows 10 to manage to find drivers that absolutely kill small reads and writes. I dont think that would cause a 317 second boot, but can add to boots

I was having the same problem with Windows 7, boot time measured in minutes, which only started in the last two months or so. It was because I had a large capacity external hard drive, several TB, always connected via USB to the computer. When I unplugged the cable, the boot time was seconds.

Does it take forever in safe mode? If so, I doubt its os/software..

The said, if you have a spare drive, unplug the rest and try a new OS.

Last edited:
pop open task manager, check the performance tab, I have a couple to look at for friends that have very long boot times and the first one I am having to do a reinstall to correct it.
it's showing 100% disk usage all the time.

safe mode boots in like 20 secs. also in task manager i have nothing out of the ordinary. standard programs running and nothing at 100%. the pc runs fine, games are still smooth, benchmarks are in range. It just takes forever to boot.

to see if it was the cause. i have seen where fast boot is causing slow downs in boot times.

I was having the same problem with Windows 7, boot time measured in minutes, which only started in the last two months or so. It was because I had a large capacity external hard drive, several TB, always connected via USB to the computer. When I unplugged the cable, the boot time was seconds.

i had this issue even with just my cell phone plugged in (charging), it would cause 7 to hang for several minutes on boot. so might check to make sure you dont have any usb storage devices connected.

When logged in, ctrl-alt-del | Task Manager. Go to the Startup tab. Disable everything and reboot to see what happens. If it's the same, take the same steps and re-enable the programs that you want. If the problem goes away, selectively re-enable your programs and reboot.

I like the idea that it could be caused by an external device like a phone USB drive or external hard drive. I've seen that myself a time or two.

got some time to mess with my pc again. trying to reinstall windows with rufus 3.3 and an iso of windows 10. this is what i get on a reboot with usb drive mounted.
20181021_174437.jpg 20181021_174310.jpg 20181021_174055.jpg

sorry about the poor pics. used phone to take shots.

idk what to do. i really dont want to pull the ssd and put it in the bedroom pc to dump and format the drive.

any other suggestions or software to help automate this process?

everything i have tried from windows repair wont work.

Using Microsoft's own free Media Creation Tool, create a USB installer and start the install from within Windows. Choose the "Keep Programs and Data" option.

Hint: The Media Creation Tool installer creation sometimes fails to complete. One work around is to copy the installer exe file from your downloads folder to the thumb drive itself and execute the process from the thumb drive. If you use a 16gb flash drive or larger there will be enough room to do this. There's a whole thread on MS's user forum about this issue but the workaround I gave you should work. No one knows exactly why it works.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

I would flash the BIOS with the newest version from your MB manufacture. That first message scares me.

iirc you have to disable secureboot when using something like rufus to make a boot drive, they boot using grub boot loader or something of the sort.

Back