• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Support for 8 slot 3930k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, and those are 2133 out of the box unlike the vengeance. also, are they good overclocking memory, it doesn't say they are, where the vengeance say they are...

EDIT: Spelling

Yes, just go into the BIOS and set the XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) to 2133, the timings will be set also, Volts too. 16GB Kit (4x4GB), 2133MHz 9-11-10-30, 1.5V. Very Good! When you receive your hardware we can walk you through it :)

So there is nothing for me to change except that memory profile? just type in "2133" and im done? Will it then overclock past there? And this is on an Asus board... Also, i'm just buying some black slot-fillers for the other 4 ram slots :)

You don't have to type it in, just click on XMP in the BIOS and it will do it for you. Your new Mobo will come with UEFI BIOS and will look much different then the old dos BIOS, much more user friendly. When you want to Overclock your ram then you set the timings by typing them in. The New UEFI BIOS is a really cool new feature and I like it :D If you want I can show you a pic of my UEFI BIOS ram settings.

Okay, because i'll be running my system at stock for a while to obtain stock temps and benchmarks, then ill move onto overclocking it.

so is XMP counted as overclocking, or tis just setting the memory at the standard clock speed?

If the memory is 2133Mhz stock and you set it to 2133Mhz via XMP... are you overclocking? NO! You are setting it to the stock speed. Overclocking means pushing something past its stock speeds. So setting stock speed is...........stock.

BTW, I see no reason what-so-ever to get faster than 1600Mhz ram. VERY little performance increases in gaming and most things you do. Dont pay the premium for nothing. You have, or will eventually be buying, a 3930K right? So you dont have to touch the bclk and overclock the ram. Just no point in overclocking the ram or getting faster than 1600Mhz really.

and when it comes out of the box, it says 2133, but it isnt 2133 so i just wondered.

Huh?

Its 2133Mhz ram... period. Your SYSTEM will start it off at 1333MHz or 1600MHz for compatibility reasons only.

Benching competitively or for baselines and giggles? If you plan on joining a benching team or doing it at hwbot.org, then I would say go for it. Otherwise, I wouldnt bother.

Also, there is an EDIT button to add to an existing post instead of double posting. ;)

Have to agree with Earthdog here. Anything more than 1600 is a waste of money. Even if you plan on benching, 2133 isn't going to get it done. You will need more than that to compete. With what you would get out of it, you'd be better off saving the money and getting the 1600. But it's your money.

I recommend posting a build log so people can help you choose the best parts for a sick gaming system. IMHO buying the board and processor you are looking at for gaming is a waste. But again it's your money.

I7 3820 i have cu
Have to agree with Earthdog here. Anything more than 1600 is a waste of money. Even if you plan on benching, 2133 isn't going to get it done. You will need more than that to compete. With what you would get out of it, you'd be better off saving the money and getting the 1600. But it's your money.

I recommend posting a build log so people can help you choose the best parts for a sick gaming system. IMHO buying the board and processor you are looking at for gaming is a waste. But again it's your money.

+1

I had a 3930k + Asus RIVE right at launch, buyed even before they were available... And sold it all 2 months later for 95% of the price i paid. I'm mostly a gamer and even the 3820 i have currently is a "waste". I only use it when i recorde my gaming, locking 4 thread to the recording so the game FPS stay up. I have a 2500k in my HTPC and i tryed the GTX670 in it. Gaming wise... the 2500k and the 3820 give the SAME result. A 3930k wont give anything more as for gaming.

Back