• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SvL2 Seti versus linux 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CryptokiD

Having a real hard time getting seti up and running on my linux box. Back in the day I was an avid seti cruncher, i have some 500 classic wu's done to my credit on an old k6 platform.

I thought it would be nice to get back into seti again, so i download and install the boinc app from the ubuntu repotitories. well that was a bust. it didn't even make a link to my start menu. running boinc from terminal or "run program" just results in errors.
whatever.
I download the boinc app from the seti website and install it. ok now things are working, but boinc fails to connect to the outside world.

Seti's website doesn't even have instructions for installing boinc in linux. not that i need them, but i figure a lot of linux newbs would.

I'm crunching on one Linux rig but it was a pain to get running - as you found out. You'll have to clear BOINC through the security manager (I'm a Linux n00b - can't remember it's name) before it'll run correctly. Also, take my advise and install the optimizer now or you'll have to go through it again ...

it's an existing machine running ubuntu 64, but i have a few computers sitting in the closet i could install that Dotsch/UX on.

I'm running Mepis on mine. It's a headless cruncher so I wanted VPN and file sharing with Windows machines. It also helped that it was a relatively painless install since I'm a Linux n00b ... ;)

its rediculous the work involved to get boinc to work in linux. you have to crease special accounts to give it permission to do things, etc.

it's not worth it for me.

shame too because i have a bunch of fast computers here that are doing nothing but sitting in the closet.

this is like the first time that linux has let me down :/ all the other times, its been great. never had a problem, never ran into serious difficulty. i feel so depressed. i think ill go install windows 7....

got angry, deleted linux, installed windows 7. everything works now.

joining ocf team...

Delete windows 7, reinstall Linux, and install fah. (folding smp even works better in linux, due to a more efficient mpich2 stack :) )

I have not installed Bonic in quite some time, so I can't give you much help, but perhapse it's time to create some stickies on this? Over in the folding section we have guides for a lot of things. Especially the windows smp, because it's a pain. Which sounds like what Bonic for linux is.

Few of us run Linux with BOINC, and it's not because of the installation problems. The SETI optimizers for Windows are far better than the Linux versions. My 5000BE @ 3.0 GHz & Linux was crunching 10% slower than my Opty 180 @ 2.7 GHz w/XP. Different OS, different optimizer ...

Back