• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapped out Coolermaster GTS V8 for Noctua NH-D14. Excellent Results.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenieGOR

So I have always used Noctua. When I built the last computer a guy talked me into the V8 GTS and said that it was great. I had good results, or so I thought. I ran CPU-Z stress test and recorded the HWMonitor results, then did a MSi Intel Tuning Benchmark and recorded the results. I then did the same tests with the Noctua.

There is only one con to this change, the noctua is a 3-pin and the coolermaster is a 4-pin. Which means no smart fan control. The bright side is the noctua is set at 1250rpms +/- 25 and as quiet as the coolermaster was at low idle (850rpms).

Its closer to my video card then the coolermaster was. A piece of paper will barely fit between them, however the gpu stays about 4 degrees colder because of all the drift the noctua creates. So the part that is almost touching the GPU is sucking a good amount of air. So on to the results. They are posted in the pictures below.

For the next build should I consider the Corsair H110i? I read that its about 20% cooler than the Noctua.

Image #1 is the CPUZ Stress Test - Noctua NH-D14
Image #2 is the CPUZ Stress Test - Coolermaster GTS V8
Image #3 is the Intel MSi Benchmark - Noctua NH-D14
Image #4 is the Intel MSi Benchmark - Coolermaster GTS V8

cpuz Noctua 67 F.JPG cpuz v8 gts 73 F.JPG MSi tuning noctua 74 F.JPG MSi tuning v8 gts 79 F.JPG

When next you consider heatsinks, try the NH-D15S. And buy low-profile RAM.

The D15S has the fin stack moved over to make room for the first GPU slot. Also, the NF-A15 it comes with is PWM. If it doesn't cool enough for you, reposition it in front. If still not enough, get another A15 or a Thermalright TY-147A. The D15 and the D15S are the successors to the D14.

Back