• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapping GTX 780 for GTX 780ti.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So I'll be swapping my GTX 780 for the GTX 780ti this weekend.
My current 780 is an MSI TwinFrozr and although it has done me well these past few months it was impossible to OC without stuttering, screen tearing and freeze ups and it def. was not the temps. So anyhow I'm NOT going to be getting the MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780ti!
If you guys would do me a favor and look through Brentwood/St. Louis' Microcenters website and tell me which one you would get that would be appreciated, and I sure hope this one is OC'able.
http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...ds,-TV-Tuners-:-Computer-Parts-:-Micro-Center.
I'm thinking the EVGA reference card or the Gigabyte Windforce versions.
I've had bad luck with the dual fan EVGA's so def. not that one.
Afterwards I'll post some new pics and benchmarks.
Thanks again guys! :attn:

I'd probably snag the ASUS one on that page. Or even decide to go with the R9 290X as it has more memory, damn near equal performance, and a lower price.

Dont leave out EVGA, top of the line customer service, and I'm liking their ACX coolers.

Those are the ones I've had bad luck with. Fans where whiny and was not very OC'able. I know with a GTX 780ti one does not need to OC but I'm a power freak like that! : )

The problem with any 780/780 Ti is that you run out of power target range unless you use a modified BIOS of some sort. The EVGA cards have lot's of modified BIOS available if you look around for them.

If you are worried so much about moar power, why not go all out and order a 780 Ti Classified?

To Lvcoyote, do I have to use an EVGA card to use the EVGA modified BIOS?
Is there a risk in modifying the BIOS?

My question is why? Assuming you get all your money back, you are going to be 200 in the hole or more for what, a 10% performance increase? I guess it's something I personally wouldn't do...

You game on a single monitor right? 1080p? Perhaps grab a different 780 and save yourself some coin is my take. I also wouldn't the premium for a classified unless you are going cold with it... But again, that is me...

Plan on going 2560x1440 in the near future, I have the money to spend now and it'll just get me closer to the price of the 790 or Titan Black when they are released.

Titan black is out... And imo, not worth the jack.

I play at 2560x1440 with a 780 no problem.

Anyhoo, it's best to.flash brand with brand bios, yes. There is a risk with flashing sure. Its helpful to have a card with a dual bios so if a flash goes wrong you flip a switch and reflash. Otherwise you will have to do it with another gpu added in to the system or flash blind. Not something I would recommend to any novice.

I might wait out until maxwell but if you need something now I agree with earth. Get a 780 with good overclocking reviews. Earthdog informed me msi 780 is a reference pcb not as good for overclocking. Sounds like you got a dud. I would get asus or Classified(if you wanna overclock or liquid cool) 780 overclock the day lights out of it and if you need more get another. I also plan on Going to 2560x1440 soon im confident my lightning can do it.. A 780 around 1300 mhz with a good mem overclock can put up some VERY impressive numbers... check out some 780 classified and lightning benchmarks @1440

Go ED, nice to see ya in the new colors at work here :)

I'll drop even saying that, bad form I guess in the future.

Thought I would at least once.

:cheers:

Would anyone happen to know which GTX 780ti's actually have the dual or triple bios switches? I couldn't find them on google search.

Back