• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 780 Ti or 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is an SLI test Mark, we are talking single card. The links I have seen don't show that kind of difference...oh well. :)

Here's a FPS test for Witcher 3:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/the_witcher_3_graphics_performance_review,5.html

W3 seems to have a huge advantage with the Maxwell cards. In other games the 780Ti gets only a few % as ED stated. Nvidia will surely be enhancing the 9 series cards and it's highly doubtful that we'll see them improving the 7 series as we move forward in time. You will most likely want the hardware level DX 12 support to really see the difference. It's hard to call right now but it seems the software level support is just so that the game will run but you won't have the big features that DX12 hardware will provide. I would not be trading down to 780Ti's as a gamer in July of 2015 :p

That is an SLI test Mark, we are talking single card. The links I have seen don't show that kind of difference...oh well. :)

My apologies, i thought that was a single 780ti vs other single cards and also SLI cards, no need to sound so smug with your reply.

Thanks everyone for the input, il look into 970 and 980 options more

Mark,

Apologies. That post was simply factual and not meant to be smug at all.

EDIT: I looked at more than the summary page on your link and found what you were talking about. The interesting thing about FPS and % is that, to me, % tells the story. Here is why I say that...look at the Batman results... 147.x - 169.x FPS. There is the 20 FPS you are talking about! That said, first, who notices 147 or 169? But people notice 30-52!!! Second, as a percentage, that is 14% faster. If that held true throughout all/the majority of titles, I would be right on board with you. But in the end, the average of these 16 titles boils down to low-mid single digit leads. Some titles, like the Witcher mentioned above, the 780ti gets crushed (since NVIDIA appears to not be optimizing for it as Bishoff said).

Last edited:
Here's a FPS test for Witcher 3:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/the_witcher_3_graphics_performance_review,5.html

W3 seems to have a huge advantage with the Maxwell cards. In other games the 780Ti gets only a few % as ED stated. Nvidia will surely be enhancing the 9 series cards and it's highly doubtful that we'll see them improving the 7 series as we move forward in time. You will most likely want the hardware level DX 12 support to really see the difference. It's hard to call right now but it seems the software level support is just so that the game will run but you won't have the big features that DX12 hardware will provide. I would not be trading down to 780Ti's as a gamer in July of 2015 :p

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873...nt-require-a-new-graphics-card-after-all.html

”DirectX 12 will indeed make lower-level abstraction available (but not mandatory—there will be backward-compatibility with DX11) on existing hardware. However, Tamasi explained that DirectX 12 will introduce a set of new features in addition to the lower-level abstraction, and those features will require new hardware. In his words, Microsoft “only teased” at some of those additions this week, and a “whole bunch more” are coming.”

The other one that caught my was:
"To get the full support of DX12 will users need to get a new graphics card?"

To get the "full benefits of DX12," Ybarra replied, "the answer is yes."
from
http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/22/7874793/directx-12-wont-require-a-new-graphics-card-after-all

While I agree that the newer cards will be able to take advantage of newer things, I still believe that our 700 series(and older) cards will do just fine.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873...nt-require-a-new-graphics-card-after-all.html

”DirectX 12 will indeed make lower-level abstraction available (but not mandatory—there will be backward-compatibility with DX11) on existing hardware. However, Tamasi explained that DirectX 12 will introduce a set of new features in addition to the lower-level abstraction, and those features will require new hardware. In his words, Microsoft “only teased” at some of those additions this week, and a “whole bunch more” are coming.”

The other one that caught my was:
"To get the full support of DX12 will users need to get a new graphics card?"

To get the "full benefits of DX12," Ybarra replied, "the answer is yes."
from
http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/22/7874793/directx-12-wont-require-a-new-graphics-card-after-all

While I agree that the newer cards will be able to take advantage of newer things, I still believe that our 700 series(and older) cards will do just fine.

Whatever makes you happy is all that matters in the end, as it's your money. We can only tell you what we recommend and would buy with our money.

GTX780Ti has more shaders and wider memory bus so it's simply faster but nvidia is already not improving performance in GTX700 series drivers while GTX900 is still getting performance improvements. However 780Ti is still faster card than GTX970.
On the overclocking part. Nearly every GTX970 can be overclocked to 1500MHz on stock cooling regardless if there is 20*C more or less. At the same time every MHz higher is giving these cards less visible performance gain than on GTX700 series simply because stock clock is already much higher.
GTX960 is not bad for a single 1080p display but it's much slower ( 30% or something ) than GTX970/780Ti.

ive read from several websites while trying to look at other comparisons on the witcher 3 for a gtx 760 and read quite a bit that Nvidia isn't even releasing improvements for the 700 line really at all anymore.

ive read from several websites while trying to look at other comparisons on the witcher 3 for a gtx 760 and read quite a bit that Nvidia isn't even releasing improvements for the 700 line really at all anymore.
Exactly our point, yep. While the ceiling may/may not be the same on the 970 upon launch, with driver improvements since then and NVIDIA's apparent lack of support for the 780ti, the 970 clearly has a better upside to it for very little cost increase.

Last edited:
it looks like you're at 1080p, if you're at 1080p, on a tv the 970 would be the way to go.
I game on a 46 inch led tv at 1080, the 970 is great.
on a 1440p monitor the 970 will struggle on some of the games I have downloaded and played, those games I don't play, just checked the thing out.

hey mate, good question! If you're asking after price to performance way to go, then it looks like the GTX 750 Ti is the way to go.. 60W TDP output means (as EarthDog said) that they give best RAC/buck at the moment. So that might be something to look at :) Check out the SETI forums as there's a bit of debate regarding 970 v 980 cards.. Looks like price/performance = GTX 750 Ti., but if you're looking to futrue proof stuff, GTX 980 Ti + at least an entire core (i.e. hyperthreading disabled/only use 7/8 cores) might be necessary.

For what it's woth, I'm running GTX 660 Ti (2047MB RAM) and it's pulling ~12000 RAC so I guess if you're a gamer, maybe the 960 would be better, but from raw computational power (i.e SETI, folding etc) will benefit more from the 960 model, as the drivers are being optimised for those series cards. But obviously,YMMV, if you want to post your rig's specs I can have a look an identify any possible bottlenecks you have :)

Crunch on!

Back