• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Sweetspot' OC for Phenom II X4 960T Zosma?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roy_nor

Hi.

After a lot of searching for a best-bang-pr-buck setup, the AMD X4 960 paired with Asus M5A99X Evo and 8GB of Kingston 1600 RAM are now in my possession. :D

My previous build was based on a Intel E8400, where all you had to do was to increase the FSB to get a performance jump. Overclocking my new build is something I haven't entirely wrapped my head around.. Yet..

I read Dolk's AMD OC guide, but the information was a little bit too general to be of any assistance to an idiot such as myself. :eh?:

Bottomline; are there anyone out there who has done some experimenting with OC'ing the 960T utilizing only 4-cores? If you have any good OC settings to share, please feel free to do so. :) I'll be one greatful sûcker. We welcome any kind of setup, both on the hardware and bios setting sides.

Primary use of this computer is gaming, so I don't really care about the core unlock.
The current cooler used in my rig is a Thermaltake Blue Orb II, a pretty solid aftermarket CPU cooler. Just in case you were wondering. ;)
I'm planning to try out two different types of stock coolers as well.

Happy to be a part of the community! (^^)v

Last edited:
Up the CPU multiplier to 19 (3.8 GHz).
Set NB multiplier to 13 (2.4 GHz).
Increase CPU voltage to around 1.45V.
Turn off Cool'n'Quiet and Turbo Core.
Set your RAM to 1333 MHz, tweak your timings however you'd like.

Should be good to see where you get from there.

In....... I am looking for the exact same info. I just put together my build for my 960t and was unable to unlock the two additional cores so I would love to see what some of you all have done to it with only 4 cores.

In....... I am looking for the exact same info. I just put together my build for my 960t and was unable to unlock the two additional cores so I would love to see what some of you all have done to it with only 4 cores.

Forums generally work exactly the opposite of what you seek. You show and then some will tell. You want to see what some are doing and the best way to find out what others do is to post how you are doing. Then the answers just seem to flow in. :thup:

It should not be any diffrent to OC'ing 6 Cores.... :)

It helps if we know what your setup is, go to User CP >> Edit Signature. And add your system there like you see in mine and others Signatures.

Forums generally work exactly the opposite of what you seek. You show and then some will tell. You want to see what some are doing and the best way to find out what others do is to post how you are doing. Then the answers just seem to flow in. :thup:

well I didn't want to start a second thread about OC'c the 960t and didn't want to take over this thread. I will start a second thread and post what I am running.

I will also update my sig. I have been meaning to do that but keep forgetting.

Well.. This setup won't OC for sh1et.. Last stop is the 3400GHz turbo. I've tried a lot of combinations, mostly it BSOD's @ Windows load screen, or just blackscreen on me. This thing black screens even just by increasing FSB by 10. xD
Running latest bios version as well (0901).

Oh well..

edit; Mobo is defect... Luckily 14 days havent passed since I bought it, so I should be able to get my money back. And get a Gigabyte 990FX UD3 thats on sale this week. :D

Last edited:
Well.. This setup won't OC for sh1et.. Last stop is the 3400GHz turbo. I've tried a lot of combinations, mostly it BSOD's @ Windows load screen, or just blackscreen on me. This thing black screens even just by increasing FSB by 10. xD
Running latest bios version as well (0901).

Oh well..

edit; Mobo is defect... Luckily 14 days havent passed since I bought it, so I should be able to get my money back. And get a Gigabyte 990FX UD3 thats on sale this week. :D

Not sure on that bios version as I think that the one that just came out very recently right? I am running the one from OCT I think. Anyway check out my thread as I am running the same processor as yours. Might be able to at least give you some more ideas. I was able to get to 4.2ghz stable.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694231&goto=newpost

Got the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 mobo as a replacement for the M5A99X. One good thing is that the CPU fan speed is temperature/volt controlled on the Gigabyte mobo, opposed to Asus's must-have-4-pin-CPU-fan-connector-orelse-run-fan-at-max-RPM. I have a good old ThermalTake Blue Orb II CPU cooler that only has a 3 pin connector. I've had it for quite some time and have been troubled by the noise it makes at 1700rpm..

Moving on: It seems I fried my RAM. Changing the mobo did not help the Windows loading screen from freezing. So I'm going to let memtest86+ run over the night, hopefully it's the RAM, and I'll get some new in the morning... If not I have my ballsack in my mailbox. :facepalm: And might have to get a new CPU. Which is sad, cause it seems to unlock into a 6 core on the Gigabyte mobo. Can't say for sure though, I can't get into Windows to stresstest it.

Been babbling enough for one night now :blah:, thanks for all the great tips and hints. I'll won't give up the struggle for a OC'd quadcore CPU just yet. :thup:

Hi.

After a lot of searching for a best-bang-pr-buck setup, the AMD X4 960 paired with Asus M5A99X Evo and 8GB of Kingston 1600 RAM are now in my possession. :D

My previous build was based on a Intel E8400, where all you had to do was to increase the FSB to get a performance jump. Overclocking my new build is something I haven't entirely wrapped my head around.. Yet..

I read Dolk's AMD OC guide, but the information was a little bit too general to be of any assistance to an idiot such as myself. :eh?:

Bottomline; are there anyone out there who has done some experimenting with OC'ing the 960T utilizing only 4-cores? If you have any good OC settings to share, please feel free to do so. :) I'll be one greatful sûcker. We welcome any kind of setup, both on the hardware and bios setting sides.

Primary use of this computer is gaming, so I don't really care about the core unlock.
The current cooler used in my rig is a Thermaltake Blue Orb II, a pretty solid aftermarket CPU cooler. Just in case you were wondering. ;)
I'm planning to try out two different types of stock coolers as well.

Happy to be a part of the community! (^^)v

A sweet spot for me:
AMD Phenom II x4 960T BE/Boxed edition w/Zosma core.
ASRock 770DE+
XFX/ATI 5770 GPU
RAID CARD HIGHPOINT|ROCKET 620-OEM
Samsung 720 SSD series drives
8gb Gskill DDR2 1066 in dual channel mode (Unganged).
Stock AMD cooler that came in the box.
Windows 7/64 Home Edition

Base Clock: 220 (I'm able to go as high as 240 before it starts crashing, but performance gain doesn't seem to be worth stressing the hardware, so I drop back to 220 for an everyday setting).

PCIE: Stock @ 100 (I haven't played with this yet)

Multiplier: 16x
CPU Voltage: 1.300

HT & NB @ 10x (That is a the 2000 setting but by rasing the base clock it pushes it to around 2200).
NB Voltage 1.125

Memory 2.14v @ 5:5:5:15 (This set of memory seems to be my finicky point at getting stable overclocks. This memory likes the voltage...too low and I get crashes after about 20 minutes of Prime 95. Push up the memory voltage and purrs right along).

I start with the memory clocked at 400mhz. Raising the base clock drives this up some, but still well under the memory's rated speeds. I haven't messed with trying to 'overclock' this memory, as my understanding is that with the AMD platform it doesn't offer any performance gains to mess with it anyway?

I do keep Cool and Quiet enabled, so the processor steps up and down as needed.

I leave Turbo Mode enabled, and if my math is correct this does get used, as CPU-Z shows the processor running a little faster than I calculate it should be based on the base clock/multiplier settings I have.

I also run SATA III SSD drives over a cheap 10 dollar PCIE version 2 card (the native SATA stuff on this board is SATA II)...to me SATA III with SSD (or some other high performance hard drive) is the biggest performance booster for the money of just about anything you can spend money on for a PC these days. While they seem a bit pricey, I was delighted to learn how much STUFF comes with the typical SSD drive these days. I don't try to move/disable the page file and all that OCD stuff to prolong the life of the drive (speed is why I got the thing in the first place, and it'll still probably outlive most mechanical hard drives out there). I.E. The Samsung comes with a Batman game to to me is worth at least $100 (It's been a really fun well crafted game). It also comes with Norton Ghost. So at the end of the day you get alot of nice stuff for the money. I figure when they start offering OEM versions of the drives without all the extra brackets, cables, and software and stuff bundled in fancy packaging, the prices will go way down!

This is a low stress OC that is very stable for me on 4 cores. It runs at around 3.5ghz overall this way and does well with gaming (more GPU intensive anyway, offering a slight improvement over stock settings benchmark wise, but an overall 'smoother feel' for the few games I run. ON the stock cooling temps max out around 60C with extended Prime 95 stress. In reality, it usually runs under 50C with typical usage for me.

I'm not able to unlock any cores with this motherboard (or at least I have not figured out how). I can get 6 cores to show up by enabling AAC but AAC itself will only address 4 of them. It locks up trying to boot windows with AAC enabled in any way.

I can easily knock up the main multiplier and run it all stable between 3700 and 4ghz if I add more voltage across the board (for some reason memory voltage is the biggie for me, but any multiplier over 17.5x and I have to give everything at least a half a volt more juice), but the performance gains aren't really huge for daily use, and it does start getting pretty hot on the stock cooling, so why stress it?

Bottom line for me...on a DDR2 based setup...
The little extra boost to the base clock (which adds 200mhz to HT and NB and around 500mzh to the processor seems to give games a little smoother feel. For what I use my PC for every day...it's not really noticeable between running on the stock 16x multiplier and attempting to push it up past the 3.5ish ghz mark. I suppose if I zipped lots of stuff, or worked with intense video/graphics compression I might feel a difference...but for what I do, just giving the base clock a slight boost and keeping everything at stock settings (or even undervolting them a bit for a cooler/quieter running rig) seems to be the sweetest spot for me :)

On trying to OC memory...or even to keep tweaking in order to run it at 1066, I haven't piddled with this just yet. Is it worth the bother? I read somewhere that pushing the memory past 400mhz doesn't offer any performance increase on any AMD processor, and that the only reason to mess with memory clocks at all is to get timing right for stability. Is this true?

And there ya have my experience with the 960T BE. I'm by no means a pro OCer. Just someone who has the kit and gave it a try.

Credo

Last edited:
Here's a link to my recent thread on the subject: Advice on 960T OC Stability?

I started, as the poster above me, with a 220 base clock (250 had some really weird hiccups). I got to 3.85 but I think I was having ram stability issues...So since I have a black edition processor, I wondered what the point was of cranking up the core clock...so I reset everything to stock, turned off CnQ, c1e, turbo core, and turned the multiplier to 19 (3.8). Turned ram voltage up a tiny bit, turned vcore to 1.35 and all my stability and error issues with prime95/gaming stopped. I also turned OFF LLC which netted me about 2-5C lower temps. I turned CnQ back on but it doesn't seem to be doing anything (?). Ram is at auto (1333) and since I have 1600 ram I should have room to tighten up the timings a bit yet, which is my next task. Temps are about 55-57 at load (57 peak, 55 most of the time).

So thats my 2c :)

kylezo, if you have changed the Power profile in Control Panel from energy saving to Performance then CnQ and C1E are disabled.

Here's a link to my recent thread on the subject: Advice on 960T OC Stability?

I started, as the poster above me, with a 220 base clock (250 had some really weird hiccups). I got to 3.85 but I think I was having ram stability issues...So since I have a black edition processor, I wondered what the point was of cranking up the core clock...so I reset everything to stock, turned off CnQ, c1e, turbo core, and turned the multiplier to 19 (3.8). Turned ram voltage up a tiny bit, turned vcore to 1.35 and all my stability and error issues with prime95/gaming stopped. I also turned OFF LLC which netted me about 2-5C lower temps. I turned CnQ back on but it doesn't seem to be doing anything (?). Ram is at auto (1333) and since I have 1600 ram I should have room to tighten up the timings a bit yet, which is my next task. Temps are about 55-57 at load (57 peak, 55 most of the time).

So thats my 2c :)

For me and what I do (more memory intensive apps) I think having the higher base clock helps more than faster cores. I suppose it depends on what you need more...quickly moving large blocks of information around that doesn't require alot of number crunching (and is too large or changes too often to go in caches), or quickly crunching numbers?

On stock cooling, with the cheapo mother boards I've been inclined to buy over the years, I'm really not seeing a whole lot of real world performance difference overclocking vs stock settings (even with OCs of up to a gig). I do see a more power hungry processor when Overclocked though.

I well remember when a hundred MHZ here or there could make a huge difference! These days it would seem that bottle necks are occurring other places in the system than the processors....anything above 3ghz is just gravy for the average computer user :) Getting as much bandwidth as possible between the CPU and all the other data/gadgets seems to be where it's at for me.

So best bang for the money (at least for me)...is to get the mid range processors and invest in SSD drives plus whatever level of graphics card needed. All the processors these days simply seem to rock and roll on the lower end motherboards :)

Last edited:
So to put the final nail in this coffin.
I ended up doing a little bit of everything you guys posted, I manually set the ram and volt timings to 10-10-10-26-2T, 1.5v. Ended up with the CPU multiplier at x17.5 and a FSB of 220 that equals to a clock of 3850MHz, a memory clock of 1466MHz (733@dual channel), and HT/NB frequency at 2200MHz.

This has so far been a very stable 24/7 setup! Thanks for all the guidance. :clap:

Edit: CPU temp when running prime95 is 42 degrees Celsius.

Hi,

I came across this thread so I thought I may as well reply here rather than creating a new one.

I have been interested in overclocking my 960t (Tried to unlock it but it blue screens during the windows loading screen) and now that I have a better cooler, I definitely will!

Specs:

Asus M5A78L-MLX V2
AMD Phenom II x4 960T
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
ATI 5850 XFX
Western Digital Caviar Black 320GB

Basically, so far all I have done it set the HT to 240 in the bios and everything else is set to auto (This is my first time overclocking :p) . Is it ok for everything to be set to auto or will I run into stability issues? I'm about to run some stress tests anyway but feedback would be great!
Things are looking like this:

Just a quick update:
CPU temperatures seem to have stopped at 54c under 100% load. This isnt too high is it? Using a Zalman CNPS9500A-LED Aero with Arctic Silver 5.

Last edited:
Just a quick update:
CPU temperatures seem to have stopped at 54c under 100% load. This isnt too high is it? Using a Zalman CNPS9500A-LED Aero with Arctic Silver 5.

55c 'core' temps are considered to be about the limit before instability sets in.

Thanks for the reply. I've had a look into it, and I tried using other software to monitor temps, and Asus PC probe reports 54c but AMD overdrive and Core Temp report 40c. I'll just assume PC probe is a load of rubbish!

Back