• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCW82 and RX480

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Just picked up the swifty MCW82 Universal block from g0dm@n (many thx amigo! :thup:) and I'm going to put my 480 under water. Hopefully I'm sure keeping it cooler will yield better results from what I'm trying to get on air. After researching around, these 480's respond better with way cooler temps especially under water.

Need some help/ideas on the VRM section of the card. Sometime ago I picked up a Thermalright VRM-R2 heatsink from a member here and totally forgot I even had it! lol. Unsure if I can make it fit with my modding skills and my trusty dremel :D

If that doesn't work I'll have to go with plan B. I'll post up pics with the mods/guide while I'm at it. Any sites with the right sized heatsinks with thermal tape around?

As always any help is greatly appreciated!

Do you want two 470s with Koolance blocks instead? Free? I'll ship them on your dime. You ain't taking PMs. You can read about them in the stickies etc. Might get better #s, dunno.

Once I tore down the watercooled rig both cards have been in my closet of fun. No clowns.

Sry about that Con. Added you :) Hmm, tempting, but I figure someone else might take them just to fold on or a kid's pc. I really have no use for 'em, but thanks for the offer!

Last edited:
Ya, no worry thinking of donating a lot of the stuff to my son's tech high school, hehe his alma mater tater or however college grads with millions say it.... I don't need it anymore.

I was supposed to get something in the mail a while ago but that never happened. I guess people just forget. :p

Don't worry too much about VRM plane with RX480. Each FET can operate at nominal operation to upwards of 120C. Just put a fan over them and you'll be fine.

Better yet, get the pasty Heatsinks, and strap a 40mm fan onto the area. You can run that fan as quite as you want, and you'll be fine.

Don't worry too much about VRM plane with RX480. Each FET can operate at nominal operation to upwards of 120C. Just put a fan over them and you'll be fine.

Better yet, get the pasty Heatsinks, and strap a 40mm fan onto the area. You can run that fan as quite as you want, and you'll be fine.

I was thinking of adding some sticky sinks to the VRMs and attach a fan to blow right on them. Thx Dolk! :thup:

*Edit*

Just ordered some thermal tape. Should arrive in a few days. Now to dig out my old leftover sinks :D

Last edited:
Well 60+ lbs of stuff and packing rads with no box etc is a pain. Imagine trying to find a way to pack that tech station. Gaa, I don't feel the need to pack it myself. If I would take my connectors, hose, fans, mobo, GPU, tech stand, rads, pumps and box it up, and do it myself, I'm sure we's looking at $100 shipping and that's me boxing it all up.

That's the issue, it's a lotta work. I need to break it down in bits.

Or gift it all to my son's Alma Mater high school, ASTEC, the only high school in the city with no school cops with guns. Geeks don't need money to steal, they just need a XXXY^^4 P Password to your account.

Ohh My son is in the Military doing this now, no longer in subs.

Rating Description
The Cryptologic Technician - Networks branch offers a career in computer Networks. CTN's perform a variety of duties associated with computer network operations across global networks. About 600 men and women serve worldwide in the CTN rating. Advanced training in computer network operations, using state-of-the-art technology is readily available. Within a short period, today's CTN quickly develops highly marketable computer network skills. A combination of technical and analytical computer network skills provides the situational awareness required to plan and execute informational operations (IO) actions/counter-actions. Initial training is located in Pensacola, Florida.

6 months in P, 23 started, 7 graduated. School is taught by the NSA.....

Back