• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching HHD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macmaster4k2

Registered
So my friend needs a new computer. He originally had a laptop however the motherboard on it died and that has been confirmed. My question: If I were to build a basic computer, could i use the HHD from his laptop for the new computer i build and still be able to run windows that is on it fine? Given that i install the necessary drivers for the new motherboard

It depends which Windows version and doing this is usually only done 100% successfully with similar/same motherboard chipsets. The more different they are, the more likely it is that you will have problems.

Going from Laptop to Desktop is probably not recommended because of the the problems that may show up later even if you do get it to somehow boot in.

this is usually only done 100% successfully with similar/same motherboard chipsets. The more different they are, the more likely it is that you will have problems.
Isn't a laptop HDD a normal HDD after all? Most likely just smaller / slower?

Its not the hdd that is the problem it is using the old Instill off the Lappy on the desktop that the problem comes from .
Trust me just do a clean Install of the os on the new desktop

Oh i misunderstood the question, i came from his other thread and assumed he would just use the HDD, reinstalling Windows of course.
In that case you are absolutly right! I see no way not reinstalling would do any good.

Back