• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching Mobo & CPU without reinstalling windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrian719

Hey guys.
So I'm upgrading my CPU & mobo from a
Phenom II X4 955 BE & Biostar A880GU3
to a
FX-8350 & Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
, and I don't want to have to do a fresh install of Windows 7. Would I be able to do that, or would I have to do a fresh install?

Thanks

It will likely work... but there is a chance it will not as well. It should just boot, start to install stufff that isnt the same, and hopefully wont hose. Assuming that doesnt happen, then install the drivers for the new mobo.

So I guess I should reinstall windows 7. Guess i'm going to need a new disk, since I can't find mine lol

It's worth backing everything up regardless.
After it's backed up, swap mobos/CPUs and see what happens.
If you get a BSOD, check whether the SATA controller is set to IDE and AHCI, and set it to whatever it isn't set to right now (not RAID, though).
If you still get a BSOD, it's time for a fresh install.

The only times I've had issues have been when I was using AMD onboard graphics and tried to move away from them. I don't think I've ever successfully resurrected an install after that, even with repair discs and startup error fixing and so on.
If you have a dedicated GPU, you should be in good shape.
If you have a valid Win7 key you should be able to download the DVD ISO from Microsoft and burn it to a DVD.

You should also do yourself a favor and download all the latest drivers for your motherboard and have them handy for installation before you make the switch. Same goes for video drivers.

Download a verified, legal copy here.
Use your existing licence key.
www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Oh and get them bloody pics up you slacker ;)
Thank you!
Sorry, I forgot. I'll try getting them tomorrow.

You should also do yourself a favor and download all the latest drivers for your motherboard and have them handy for installation before you make the switch. Same goes for video drivers.

I usually do that, does save a lot of time. :thup:

It'll be fine, I've switched mobo/CPU's with Windows several times before and the only thing that you have to do is reactivate (usually through phone) but if it won't let you reactivate then you have to reinstall a new Windows or purchase a new key. Very rarely do you have to install new drivers for a different motherboard and also very rarely going from a mobo with the BIOS settings to "IDE" to an AHCI then Windows will refuse to boot and you could just change AHCI to IDE int he BIOS setting.

I always do a full reinstall.....as it's usually been up to a few years and good time to anyway.

For future reference:

As long as you have the appropriate license you can simply sysprep your Windows installation.

Disable and uninstall all security software. Bad things happen if you forget :(
Run C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep32.exe
Shut down
Replace the board and power on the machine.
You will go through the initial setup of Windows (key/account/hostname/etc).
Make the initial username different from your primary as a dummy account.
Once on desktop, log out and log into primary account.
Delete dummy setup account.

You will need drivers (extent varies), but your configuration is in-tact on new hardware.

Back