• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Fail CPU Test ..................

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfunk

I'm building a computer for a friend of mine who decided to go w/ P4 2.8. First time building a Pentinum system. When I tried to boot up the computer, all I hear is system fail cpu test. What does that mean? I installed the cpu correctly. I reseated the heatsink bunch of times too.

CPU: P4 2.8
PS: Antec 380W
Motherboard: P4P800 Deluxe
Memory: 512MB Kingston 2700
Video: Asus Radeon 7000

Any help would be appreciated.

did you reset the cmos? remember to make sure you unplug the psu before you reset the cmos or it may not actually reset.

Maxvla said:
did you reset the cmos? remember to make sure you unplug the psu before you reset the cmos or it may not actually reset.

Yes I did clear CMOS using jumper method and removing battery.

Any other ideas?

bchur83 said:
Does it let you get into the BIOS? If so set up the settings and see if that solves the problem.

Won't let me go into BIOS. About 4-5 sec after computer gets turned on, I hear that error voice.

This is a known problem with the Asus P4P800/P4C800 line. I have a P4C800E-Deluxe, and I get this problem intermittently (and seemingly randomly). What you might want to do is this: unplug the hard drive's power plug so as not to put too much strain on the HDD. Then run power cycles (PSU on>MB PWR on>MB PWR off (4 secs)>PSU off>start from beginning) for maybe half an hour and see if it goes away on its own.

If it doesn't, try re-mounting the CPU (some have suggested that the problem is caused - or exacerbated - by too tight a heatsink clip, although that has not been proven), and try it again.

It seems that the longer that you have it on once it's working, the less likely that it is to demonstrate this error on a subsequent power on.

My P4P800 Deluxe would do that if I forgot to plug the CPU fan into the CPU fan header on the mobo next to the CPU socket. Make sure its properly seated.

I just returned the motherboard and got a different motherboard. Works fine now. I believe it was due to heat sink clip being too tight.

Back