• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System upgrade = Air CPU Cooler Sugguestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
So I've been on the edge of doing a computer upgrade for a few years now. Thankfully a friend has decided to upgrade right now so I get to play with his setup first putting it together a system I'd build for myself.

Its been ages since I've had to buy a Air CPU cooler, last two coolers I bought where models of the Thermalright Ultra-120. Curious what I should be looking at for in a cooler these days?
Looking at cooling an Intel i5 6600k with a decent OC.

I've been reading some of the reviews on the front page, but I'm just totally lost. Been stressful past few weeks for me so I know I'm not thinking clearly. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

For moderate intel quad overclocks, I would say a simple Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo would get you to 4.5Ghz... If you want to push more go with something better like Noctua NH-D15.

What would the temps be on average with a Coolermaster for example?
So use to low temps its nice :)

Also if he wanted to go from a mid tower to a smaller case I don't think the large heatsinks would work. Would something like a Cryorig C1/C7 be able to handle potentially 4.5Ghz?

Last edited:
Within accepted temperatures for the CPU. Outside of that, no idea. But it would depend on the CPU and how much voltage it takes to get there as well.

Cryorig C7 can barely handle 4.5GHz under full load. It's great cooler but I wouldn't use it above 1.2V. On my 6600K it's fine up to ~1.20-1.22V and it's not too noisy. 1.2V on my 6600/6700K is enough for about 4.2-4.3GHz. A bit better is Cryorig M9i. About the same as C7 but in tower build. However if you can use tower cooler with 92mm fan then you can use cooler with 120mm fan too so it's better to buy something bigger.
Hyper 212 is probably worse than TR Ultra 120 ( at least looks like that but I had no chance to compare ) so if you still have TR in good condition then look for a mounting kit for 1156/1155 which should fit on 1151. If not and you have a lot of space for the cooler then look at something bigger from Noctua, Cryorig or something like Ninja 4. These large coolers should fit into most ITX/micro ATX cube cases.

Thanks guys good info. Going to give my friend a few options and will see what he goes with.

As for my TR and future build.. if i can find a mounting bracket, or if my bracket works, i'd prefer to keep it. Since I'm on a 1155 socket i believe all the 115x's have the same mounting system. Would save me a nice chunk of money and it still does an excellent job at cooling. I know it fits in my case as well, then again almost all new ones will since they are slightly shorter. Just a shame that I know it doesn't fit in another spare case that I have but no worries there :)

Back