• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Destructor

Registered
Hey folks... this week is the week for my upgrades... I will show you a list of hardware I believe should work well together. if any one has any suggestions as to an item I should think twice about getting, can you please share your suggestions with me... here's what I am looking to buy within the next couple of days.,...

1: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

2: Intel 7th Gen Core i7-7700K Desktop Processor (BX80677I77700K)

3: G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 16GB, 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4-3200MHz (PC4 25600)

4: NVME SSD Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512 GB for the boot drive, and I already purchased this part...

5: Nvidia gtx 1060 6GB version.

6: Custom Water loop, one block, 360 Thick Rad. Liquid Cooling System

I've been researching all these components for well over a week, I myself think this will all work well together, but if some one has recommendations on and item I should consider changing, please do submit your suggestions. I'm moving up from the maximus V extreeme with i7 3770K OC'd at 4.6Ghz. with Kingston HyperX ddr2 1600 Mhz 16 gig

thank you every body that will read this post...

Rgds.
Claude

Claude, what will be the main uses of the computer? If gaming is important to you then you certainly should consider going with a more potent video card: a GTX 1080 or even a 1080 Ti. And if you will be going with a 4K monitor you definitely want a GTX 1080 Ti. You mention nothing about the monitor. Will you using the one you already have?

Also, you mention nothing about a PSU so I assume you will be using the one from the current system. 1200 watts is way overkill for a one video card system but it certainly won't hurt anything unless it has enough age on it that there is concern it could go out soon and take other components with it.

Concerning your "thick" radiator. How thick? Make sure you research that there is enough clearance at the top of the case for it. Most cases don't provide enough headroom at the top to provide the clearance needed for a radiator thicker than about 30mm. The top edge of the motherboard is just too close to the top panel to be able to accommodate radiator and fans. Better check that out. Again, I'm assuming your are re-using your present NZXT Phantom 820 full tower. And the fact is, a thick radiator is overkill unless you are also cooling a potent video card with water. It will give more than enough cooling power to cool a 7700k overclocked to the max. You could easily go with a thinner radiator and avoid any clearance problems the thick rad might create.

The motherboard might be a little overkill as well. You could probably get the same results overcloking-wise with a less expensive motherboard and put that money toward a better video card.

Again, the biggest issue I have is with the video card. I would shift some bucks over to a better video card by spending less on the motherboard and the radiator. That is, if money is an object.

It would have been helpful if you had enumerated which parts from the current system you will be reusing.

Hello Trents:

yes, i am using current parts of my build.. I'm using 1 year old PSU, video card I already have the 1060, cooling, is my existing custome water loop, the tower is huge, it's the NZXT Phantom 820 I do alot of gaming, and I'm happy for now with the 1060, although I also run HyperV machines 24/7 for quick access to linux....and my biggest concern was the combination mobo cpu and ram... oh, and I'm running 3 24 inch plain jane generic monitor in Nvidia surround at 6000 X 1080

Last edited:
Okay, it was confusing. You listed the existing custom water loop in with the new parts you were looking to buy so I assume the cooling components were not yet had either.

The CPU, motherboard and RAM you have chosen should work together nicely. But I hope you aren't expecting a large performance increase with these upgrades from your current 3770k overclocked to 4.6. It will be pretty modest. Why are you upgrading, anyway?

the main reason I am upgrading my system is due to the face I just last week purchased the M.2 SSD; I can use it as storage, but not as boot drive, seeing my current build is z77 chipset, wich don't support nvme as a boot drive...
I know, you're probably saying silly me.. LOL... but that's what I have to work with... :)

I really see no reason to upgrade your current cpu\mb\ram combo. Sure a [email protected] would be a little snappier but with a GTX 1060 I don't think you would push it any harder than your current system. At 4K and above a Ryzen 3 1200 pushes practically the same fps as a 7700k. If your gaming on triple monitor's your even more GPU bound.

I'd really wait for Coffee Lake or put your money into other areas for now that will show bigger improvements. Like sell the 1060 and get a better GPU but if your happy with it and determined to upgrade now then what you have is fine. You pretty much can use whatever ram you want on Intel. I would either get the C14 version of that ram for few bucks more or get some faster ram. Would delid your cpu or send it to Silicon Lottery to have them do it or buy one from them.

my other option to get my ssd as boot drive is to mod my current bios to enable nvme booting support.... I'm just not comfortable with modding my own bios...

ok, thanks for your help... :) you've given me more options to consider...

Rgds.
Claude

So Claude, I think what I hear you saying is that after purchasing the mvme m.2 you are realizing your current chipset is old technology and will likely become more and more limiting as newer peripheral devices come down the pike in the future.

Back