• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T1 prices? I am freaking desperate!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ri0 said:
Verizon Wireless has broadband access wherever you are if you have a verizon signal. It is about $80/mo, but may be an option for you. Just need to buy the card for your computer and make sure you have a signal.

Well cool, all I can find is laptop cards though & I need a card for a desktop. :beer:

Last edited:
T1 isn't for home users. T1/T3 are only if you need high upstream bandwidth (and have lots of money to spend on it). What you want is DSL or cable. Both have high downstream and low latency.

petteyg359 said:
T1 isn't for home users. T1/T3 are only if you need high upstream bandwidth (and have lots of money to spend on it). What you want is DSL or cable. Both have high downstream and low latency.

Only if this hick town had DSL or cable, but it doesn't.

Last edited:
Edward78 said:
Well cool, all I can find is laptop cards though & I need a card for a desktop. :beer:

That's why PCI to PCMCIA/PCCARD adapters exist. Many desktop wireless cards are simply the notebook PCMCIA card in an adapter.

Oroka Sempai said:
It would be a interesting exersize to put a repeater ontop of the hill and point one antenna at your house.... problem is how would you power it?

Solar & a battery or two.

Being in the sticks is nice if your retired and dont care about anything, but if you have to have internet service you could always move to town or move to a bigger city.

Edward78 said:
Hardware like this doesn't need drivers right, I use OpenSuSE 10 & Windows? I may move to PC-BSD soon though.

No it just adapts the pcmcia port to pci, no drivers needed. you might have some trouble finding drivers for the verizon card. you'll have to talk to them about that.

Do you know anyone within ~5mi that has high speed? You could rent a Cable Pair from the local telephone company and use a pair of Net-to-Net SHDSL boxes to transmit DSL over a fairly long distance.

http://www.zhone.com/products/SNE2000/

I have used a few of these in various places. All you need is to rent a single pair of dry unloaded cables between you and a friend with high-speed access. If I remember right, the boxes cost about $600, but it is a one time only deal. You may even be able to find used ones.

I am like SO DESIRING a T1... I don't even know why... I guess it's the upload + something about it is pimpified.

Max0r said:
I am like SO DESIRING a T1... I don't even know why... I guess it's the upload + something about it is pimpified.

Yeah, so that you can say "ya, I got a T1:attn: "

I thought 1.5mbps=T1, but I guess the upload is part of it too. Who needs fast uploads?:)

I'm in the T1 club! YAY!
My family runs several servers, I run a server, I run game servers, and I get to say "yeah I have a T1 :attn:"

Anyway, we're in the same boat as the OP. Middle of nowhere, too far from wireless provider without installing a 50' tower, no DSL or cable.
DSL and cable are too unreliable anyway.
I believe the T1 is costing us over $300 a month, which ends up being cheaper than our old ISDN plus co-hosting at some place in the nearest town. To install it they had to put a $3000 white box on a powerline, I believe its a repeater. We were able to negotiate spending something like $600/mo for first 5 months or something to that extent, rather than $3000 upfront. I believe we have 8 static IPs, but I only got one :(
Oh well, one is better than none and I can always use my linux box to route certain ports to other computers.

Yes, I am the king of nerds. Bow down to me.;)

Edit: the best thing about it is it almost *never* goes down, the speed is pretty nice too. Oh and for those with sticks in their behinds, the above comment about being the "king of nerds" was a joke. I don't even know that much Klingon.

Back