• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taco in Linux land!! ★Adventures★

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

View attachment 202989

WELCOME!!

okay, so I decided to give it a go! Downloaded zorin os because I liked how it looks and burned image to DVD. While at it, I also downloaded nvidia Linux driver, latest version! Heh, funny...its ".run" extension?:shrug:

Fast forward few hours. O Y E !!

I got her installed no problem, but when i wanted to install nvidia driver that's when things went to a screeching halt! BAH!!

First I couldn't figure out how to run that nvidia file because it kept opening up as text document.:rain: right clicking and letting it "run" was helpful, but not. When I clicked it to run, it wouldn't install because needs to be in root folder? Okay, BUT it won't let me access!! Off to internet.

Okay, I found "soid" command into "terminal"?? Anyways, something super user whatever stuff...but again!! It says something failed and then by continuing, it says can't disable some sort of kernel driver nouveau? Then it says nvidia helped by adding that file for you, but try restarting??

Okay, restart. Oh, command line!!! Let's try from there!! Meh, it says command not recognized, then syntax is wrong, then can't find file. Okay.

I'm back in windows. Er:confused: I mean zorin. I tried again and same thing. Okay, lets try to tether phone to internet through USB and see if online installation from software+updates >>additional drivers can work? Okay, looks like there is a driver, but its not super recent? No worries, as long as its proprietary, uh right?

Well, I tried and it just sits there. Maybe because I tried terminal bunch of commands and broke everything??

Gahh, okay, lets reinstall and try from scratch that internet version of driver..​

stand by for updates...:salute:thanks for reading. Please don't laugh, or do so lightly or so I don't hear it.

Reinstalled. Boi is she a pretty sight! I'm so in love!:ty::borg:

Anyways, downloaded nvidia driver the 'proper way'. Mobile data suffering.. After installing, uh...not many useful options:shrug: only useful stuff I found was digital vibrance, makes colors prettier, and AA, AF settings. The rest is gibberish jungle to me, no idea what it all means.

So..this is linux, eh?:sly::facepalm:

---TacoMerge™---

Okay, so can't play any music, which is really bad. Says it's a rhythmbox bug or whatever. Also need to install mpeg1 layer 3 codec from "ugly" set?:sly: wth? This is so depressing, can't even play music.

But desktop looks wonderful:clap:

---TacoMerge™---

On a positive note, my sound card is enabled and seems to work properly, can't listen to any music though, but speaker test works. Linux even knows its an X-fi sound card! Impressive!

---TacoMerge™---

Okay, final update for today. Oh snap, its already next day. Anyways,
Finally somehow figured out how to play music in rhuthmbox, also installed 2 other programs to play audio. This is very difficult, but I think I'm learning something. Oh and no EQ for audio!?

This thing is like marriage, I can't back out now, so now we have to both make it work with kids on the way? Taco+Linux. We will get through it.

G'night.

---TacoMerge™---

One last thing before I go.
I really like how music players are all integrated inside volume dialog when you click volume icon on taskbar.

Last edited:
I've booted zorin before. It has two flavors but you have to pay to get all the codecs and whatnot. I'm gonna boot back into and see what's new. I really want to run linux f/t but hate the idea of reconfiguring my hardware and whatnot. Both my pc's are running good atm. Used to have to boot into an elevated prompt to install video drivers. I think they have fixed that now. Deadbeef for music is awesome as a foobar replacement (or was) without all the optional components. If that XEOn serves up any tacos I want some.
Rosa Image Writer works well for flash boots. http://wiki.rosalab.ru/en/index.php/ROSA_ImageWriter
There's even an android image writer called etchdroid on fdroid repo. Haven't tried it however. I ran SalineOS for a while but they stopped developing it and I switched back to windows.

Last edited:
I haven't booted into linux for days..
We are having some time away from each other..y'know, couples thing...

Xeon serves a lot more than just tacos..:D

there are a lot of options in Linux, it's a double edged sword, you'll get it.
zorin is based on ubuntu and there are a lot of forums on ubuntu and all that info will work in zorin, you just have to remember that they just don't look the same but operate the same.
you can get all the audio codecs, and other players in the software center.

Taco, try Linux mint. In a lot of Linux distros you have the option of installing optional AV codexes as part of the install process or there is an option in System or Settings or somewhere to install codexes and third party hardware drivers (for video). The tool will find them and install them if there are any available. Mostly, installing the video drivers gives the advantage of hardware acceleration for video and graphics.

If go for what it looks like, you will love Mint! Soft cool gray and green. Relaxing!.Soothing1 Peaceful! And it makes your breath smell better.

Last edited:
The thing I don't like about mint (even though it's an extremely polished os) or zorin for that matter is mint I believe still uses canonical which ubuntu adopted early on (it's just an ubuntu flavor really), and zorin (ubuntu based also) uses chrome which I won't use either. My live iso refused to connect to zorin's repo at all displaying NOTHING. MX connected fine and even provided some minor updates and doesn't have a canonical or chrome based setup (debian based with xfce as default).

there are many distros that are ubuntu and deb based based, those I prefer.
There is always a steep learning curve with linux but after a while you figure out is just all those options you have that make it look so overwhelming.

Anything that requires lots of typing to get stuff done is immediately off the table for me. Suse for example. I really need a tertiary mini pc to play with.

Anything that requires lots of typing to get stuff done is immediately off the table for me.

I sympathize (possibly for different reasons) When "typing", my hands most resemble a pair of inebriated pigeons trying to eat the spots on a linoleum floor. LOL

Anything that requires lots of typing to get stuff done is immediately off the table for me. Suse for example. I really need a tertiary mini pc to play with.

The modern desktop Linux distros are pretty much GUI orientated for doing the majority of tasks. The only typing you'd typically have to do in Ubuntu or Mint would be to enter the sudo[ers] password when elevated privileges are needed, like for installing software.

I know nothing about admining Windows 10, but in earlier versions of Windows the console(terminal) came in handy, and registry editing could require 'some' typing.

Linux Kodachi is interesting. Rufus the iso, copy the casper r/w persistence file (1-4gb sizes), and then live boot via the persistence option and it saves it for your next session. Slow to boot at first but quicker the second go round. It's ubuntu based (synaptics) pkg mgr, but ships with waterfox by default and is 100% security oriented (Tails on steroids). Xfce gui and mounts everything automatically. I need to get a few more super fast usb3 drives as I want to run MX with persistence too. Next year I plan on grabbing a mini pc just for a dedicated linux box. Not sure if a pi3 type device will give the full experience or what. But, their size and power requirements, not to mention the prices are very tempting.
I just read somewhere that win10 has the linux kernel embedded now. Go figure.
I'm familiar with linux. I started playing around when ubuntu was first released. Not like a long time but long enough to see it mature to a noob friendly state.

The GUI in most all Linux distros is not very deep when compared to Windows and there are still a fair number of things that can only be done with the terminal.

A note about that Nvidia file, although it says ".run" it's actually just a bash script, normally named as ".sh". Nvidia does a LOT of jank things on linux and that's a good example of them being weird because they just don't give a hoot.

I'd also say that a big part of linux is getting used to the terminal, and a lot of that is just the initial "I have to type things in now" mental wall. You can use tab to autocomplete commands or filenames based on the context of what you've already typed in, and that makes things a LOT faster and less error prone, in my experience. I think that dates back to DOS but I never knew about it until after I started with linux...

Also never heard about Zorin before now. I've used Xubuntu (Ubuntu with with the XFCE desktop vs Unity/Gnome) for a while now and have come to like it.

I haven't been getting back into linux for a good while now. I don't know what is happening to me. :(

---TacoMerge™---

Downloading linux mint cinnamon. Will give it a try:) in the ER now.

Last edited:
I wouldn't download anything at the ER. That's not a secure connection. An alternative would be don't injure yourself to the point of classification:Emergency. Hope you get well soon.

Pkay:clap: I delinuxified zorin and uh ..

View attachment 203349

...how do I install her? I just got the desktop without any dialogs to install or try from DVD rom:shrug:

Edit: Nvm, duh, has install linux icon on desktop:screwy:

---TacoMerge™---

Okay! I was able to play mp3 without downloading anything and no reaching for the terminal with elusive:sly: abbreviations SUDO?? WONDERFUL FEELING! WONDERFUL!:clap: may be that will be it for today. Had to work, tired, but perhaps I will be back for mint?

Last edited:
Back