• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taco in Linux land!! ★Adventures★

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dual booting with W10 you may want to acquaint yourself with EasyBCD. W10 (all Windows, really) is a notorious hijacker of boot.ini folders.
https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Only XP and before used boot.ini, Vista and after used BCD.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

How certain are you that we're all men? ;)

WRT Alaric's comment about W10 messing dual boot... I have seen this once. It was on my new laptop and on which I've installed Linux using EFI boot. Following a Windows update the grub menu went away. The BIOS boot selection screen still showed the Linux entry which booted without any difficulty. I reinstalled grub and all was well. I think I need to add this as an advantage for EFI boot.

You want to be careful when creating dualboot systems. You need to install older Windows 1st then newer Windows, then Linux last in that order.

You want to be careful when creating dualboot systems. You need to install older Windows 1st then newer Windows, then Linux last in that order.

Absolutely!

As to earlier comment about 'proprietary' S/W on some distros... I don't have direct experience with those, but I believe that the 'proprietary' stuff is built on a standard base. I would expect generic Linux S/W to still be available in some fashion. The 'proprietary' stuff can't possibly replace the universe of available Linux S/W.

Zorin is based on Ubuntu (which in turn is based on Debian.) You should be able to install S/W using `apt`. Ubuntu has a S/W store and so does Debian (at least Gnome does.) I find the stores frustrating because they do not list all available S/W. There used to be a setting to include everything but it was removed. :bang head :mad: I mostly use the command line to install (or remove) S/W.

Ubuntu has a S/W store and so does Debian (at least Gnome does.) I find the stores frustrating because they do not list all available S/W. There used to be a setting to include everything but it was removed. :bang head :mad: I mostly use the command line to install (or remove) S/W.

Yes, the Ubuntu "store" thing is just a mess. I don't like Fedora's dnf frontend- dnfdragora either, it's even more sluggish and maddening. I prefer using the terminal for install and updates, much simpler, easier and quicker.

Back