• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taco in Linux land!! ★Adventures★

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
...not being familiar with Windows, would be equally intimidating, but not an impossible obstacle in either case.

True, even though modern Windows is almost foolproof (almost, mother nature will always invent a better fool). XP has so many things to break!

Speaking of XP, she was fine to me. (Maybe because I'm handsome and attractive):soda:

I beat on XP like a mean drunk. LOL If I broke something and had to reinstall I'd keep breaking it until I figured out how to fix it.
Hint:Sometimes all I figured out was some things couldn't be fixed. :D

I'm glad you found one.
you don't "have" to use terminal anymore, for the most part, if you are just a daily user, it's all icon clicking just like windows, but you can do a whole lot more, if you want to.

True, even though modern Windows is almost foolproof (almost, mother nature will always invent a better fool). XP has so many things to break!

And the world will invent a better fool. <raises hand> I was going nuts trying to print some stuff and nothing was working so in desperation I booted up a recent (vanilla) Windows install. It was so vanilla it didn't even recognize a second monitor. I had a web browser open along with settings. Double clicked on a .PNG and WTF - no native viewer! I installed one from the store and opened it up. Before I could get to the print dialog, the system locked up. I could still move the mouse but that was it. <ctrl><alt><del> did nothing.

I let it go for a while while I tried yet another system. When I came back an hour or so later, there was no change. I held the power button until the screen went dark. <sigh>

BTW, I finally got my printing issues solved by going into the printer menu (front panel) and setting it back to factory defaults. I don't change settings on the printer but somehow they got scrambled.

Glad to hear Taco is having Fun With Linux. :)

A couple of years ago I re-tried setting up a Linux (Mint) box to run my business (previous Linux experience was o.k. but not mastered by me). The one big drawback for my efforts was trying to integrate email, contacts, calendars and such for a smooth office experience. Thunderbird is fairly good but I couldn't make the whole idea come together as well as I'd like, which would have been a clone-like product of GMail. If you work this out, let me know.

Men & other species,

I'm back to zorinos. I didn't like how mint looked a lot like macos and it just didn't feel right. Also, not as pleasant to the eye.

Also, installing zorinos on my laptop:D I must mention it's a Sony OEM laptop with everything locked dwn. I also forgot bios password, not even sure why I set it in the first place years ago, but anyways...

Since I couldn't rearrange boot order, I removed hard drive and just booted with zorin DVD, then hot plugged the drive and viola, installing linux now alongside w10.:clap::muahaha: Genius man according to this ptojekt work! Yad would be proud.

Photo:

View attachment 203501

I plan on learning more about terminality.

Last edited:
How certain are you that we're all men? ;)

WRT Alaric's comment about W10 messing dual boot... I have seen this once. It was on my new laptop and on which I've installed Linux using EFI boot. Following a Windows update the grub menu went away. The BIOS boot selection screen still showed the Linux entry which booted without any difficulty. I reinstalled grub and all was well. I think I need to add this as an advantage for EFI boot.

Everyone,

Little update. I'm slowly trying to transition into the linux world. Using my win/lin dual boot laptop for work now. I fire up zorinos and show my jobs on it. Curious unsuspecting creatures probably think I'm using apple computer, but perhaps wondering in their brains, why the case is black and has windows7 and Sony Vaio stickers.:shock:

Also, I've been trespassing into the libre office on a regular basis to create invoices.:salute:

This is becoming the new norm here at yadtech. Soon it will be windows almost no more.:muahaha::comp:

LibreOrifice is a pretty good knock-off of MS Office, only it doesn't crash as often. Been using it for several years; you'll be missing Clippy though.:clap:

theres one i been using that is fun, elementary OS, i use it on my second pc at work for the kids to watch movies and stuff on while i work.

though if you want to learn linux start with something like debian or ubuntu (eww) or mint something that doesnt have a bunch of proprietary mumbo jumbo like zorin. Most everything in linux you can install from terminal, like debian, sudo yum install "program here" for most things, some other things like nvidia drivers you have a bit more work to do, but on the bright side there are thousands and thousands of walkthroughs for these more major linux distrobutions.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-nvidia-drivers-on-debian-9-stretch-linux

Proprietary? What is this? Hmm.
I tried mint, but somehow it d9dnt feel beautiful, so I removed it. Cant I learn on zorin? I mean linux is linux, right?

I tried mint, but somehow it d9dnt feel beautiful, so I removed it. Cant I learn on zorin? I mean linux is linux, right?

no, different package lists, different packages. The ".run" bogus stuff is the part that is proprietary. Almost everything you install in linux will be through the terminal weather its apt-get or yum commands, ubuntu has an ok "app store" that makes installation of simple tools easy enough.

Brr, this is new to me. I did t know that. So in order for me to use 'normal' programs, I have to pick different t os? Ah, well I guess I could go back to mint cinnamon. Will that work?

At first I thought 'yum' command was a typo. Like yum yum? What does it do?

Brr, this is new to me. I did t know that. So in order for me to use 'normal' programs, I have to pick different t os? Ah, well I guess I could go back to mint cinnamon. Will that work?

At first I thought 'yum' command was a typo. Like yum yum? What does it do?

yum is what centos uses intead of apt-get, so if you want to install htop (bascially task manager for linux) "apt-get install htop" (debian or ubuntu) or "yum install htop" (centos) both operating systems are case sensitive as well for all commands. but both of the commands i posted will seach through the software repositories for what ever package you ask for be it htop, iotop, apache, php_7, mysql, ect. almost none of these programs have a gui so get the idea of exe installers and nice gui's for every program out of your head. really once you get used to using it you wont want a gui because they are more cumbersome than just doing everything from the command line. none of my linux installs have even a desktop, but then again all mine are servers so they are set and forget i think ubuntu is a good os to learn on because of its software store and most of that software has a ui to control them.

one useful tool ive found recently is "curl ifconig.me" it will reply back your external ip address (which i used to make sure my vpn is correctly functioning.

I personally never cared for Mint. As for Debian based distros(Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, etc) I prefer Debian itself. But yea, Linux is Linux, package management systems vary, but is more a matter of style over substance.

The BSD's are Unix-like operating systems as is Linux, mostly require more 'hands-on' administration, are good for learning how a professional operating system is put together and admin'd.

Fedora and CentOS are developed by community-supported Projects and sponsored by Red Hat. Fedora is for those who want the latest shiny new Linux kernel and up-to-the-minute versions of software. These people don't mind if things break, gives them something to analyse and submit bug reports on. CentOS is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux source code, and is community driven. Very stable, suitable for business + desktop users that don't require customer support from Redhat.

Back