• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

take ownership

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

hey all i had a hard drive i was trying to get files off of but i couldnt take control so i downloaded the take ownership reg key and it worked great but i took ownership of my user folder and now i cant install stuff as it gives me a 1303 error, is there anyway to fix this without reinstalling?

i tried making a new user account but it had the same issue, so any help or advice would be great!

did you just take ownership of your user folder or the users folder, could you also show us your effective permissions on that folder. Did you modify permissions on any other folders?
I don't believe that changing the owner on the user folder to yourself would prevent you from installing stuff.

This right click Take Ownership option is what works on Vista/Win7:
View attachment Vista Take Ownership.reg.txt
(rename extension to just .reg)

If you end up reinstalling Windows, consider partitioning the drive, setting things just like you like them and then when (it will be when, not if) something like this happens, you simply reimage the OS partition back to when everything was working.

This right click Take Ownership option is what works on Vista/Win7:
View attachment 114343
(rename extension to just .reg)

If you end up reinstalling Windows, consider partitioning the drive, setting things just like you like them and then when (it will be when, not if) something like this happens, you simply reimage the OS partition back to when everything was working.

Not sure if you read his entire post, he's already used the reg.

Back