• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team Glasslicker Interactive Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Use too many colors and it will become quite flashy. I like the ice scheme tho. one light blue, one darker blue (or light grey), and white.

Hey. I have been lurking this thread for the last couple days and thought I would make a suggestion, since chrome is out.

Check out some Anthracite Rim paint. It is a dark grey color and very durable, since it is made for wheels and takes a lot of abuse. It finishes out with a nice um...shiny, matte finish (contradictory, I know, but I don't know how else to describe it).

You can buy canned stuff from the auto parts store and if you are patient and careful you might get a decent finish, but I bet if you went and talked to your local rim dealer or stereo shop, they could hook you up with the name of someone that specializes in those kinds of finishes.

Anthracite would go along with the Ice theme that people are suggesting, as well. Dark grey and maybe a light blue for highlights and some blue LED fans to light it up.

A couple coats of the stuff should leave a nice smooth finish on your case.

I personally used spray Engine enamel on the inside of my case. A nice neon green to complement the blue light scheme. I used 4 coats of the stuff and it looks pretty great. Nice and durable...and heat resistant up to something like 300 degrees :p

I was thinking some colors like in this picture. Somehow getting a crystal like this either painted on or etched on the window would be cool.

dlavrenz said:
I was thinking some colors like in this picture. Somehow getting a crystal like this either painted on or etched on the window would be cool.
Exactly what I was thinking, we are on the same page here but I was thinking about the whole case being "skinned" in this fashion. Full body paint job sort to speak with clear coat on it would look simply great.

So now that we have the wc loop figured out and the paint all planned... what's next on the list???

Edit: Wooooo Hooooo 3 stars!!!!!!!!!!

Project Worklog Update

As soon as pumps come in we can start installing/prepping case for paint. Here is the current project list. If you can think of anything to add to this or the shopping list, please speak up.

1) Install rad. top mount rear facing. Install temporary delrin spacers for now intil we find something better.

2) Drill hose case holes (rear at hard drive bay level) after settling on dual pump installation location.

3) Drill two holes to the left of the mobo for psu 24 pin and others.

4) For now, prep rad and fans to match case paint. Still looking enclosure opportunities. Call Glendale Sheet Metal on Monday.

5) Follow up with painters/powder coaters. If all else fails, review for self paint by creating temp paint room via visqueen (9sp).

6) Paint scheme shaping up for stealth subdued case color (grayish for lack of a better example) (maybe a textured look for depth like "hammered" ) with potential for highlights of steel blues for hainpainted highlights design.

7) Need different 4 inch monitor. Returned original as it has two huge connectors sticking out of the side. No way to frame and install for recessed mount.

8) Settle on CD/RW/DVD to purchase. What do we really need ?

9) Settle on cyl reservoir to purchase and install to the left of the mobo.

10) Settle on CPU,VGU and NVid water blocks to purchase and install.

11) Settle on Temp sensors to run. Do we just want to measure prior and post rad or run Chip temps as well?

12) Settle on Vid Card. I'm concerned that 7900 card to be released late summer may kick 7800 GTX and X1900 XTX square in the boys. Consider running mid line card for now like 7800 GT or 850XT.300-350 ish ? Upon release of 7900, compare with x1900xtx and pull the trigger, pushing mid card to P4 540 system. Ditch ati 800se card.

13) Final decision to add any other components needed.

SHOPPING LIST

24 pin ext.
VGU
CPU WB
VGU WB
NVid WB
Temp sensors
4 inch monitor
monitor mounting hardware
cd/rw/dvd
sleeving
zippies

I'm with you on the 7800GT, when the 7900 is out you can decide between the two and sell the 7800GT.
When do you expect answer on the paint job? You got all the power tools you need? You might want a pair of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-tub-94.html
As for the rest of the setup I stand behind what I already suggested:
Alright, I've given it a little thought and this is my final suggestion for the water cooling setup:
CPU: Swiftech STORM Extreme Performance 1/2" ID Universal Acrylic Top - UV Blue
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 X2!!! - Have
Chipset: Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Cooler
GPU: If you go for the 7800 then STASIS Neptune NVx1 and if you go for the XTX then we'll have to find another block because there are no full cover blocks yet as far as I know.

For the screen, couldn;t you just gut the screen out of an X-Box/Gamecube/PS2 portable screen kit? Those would be a relatively cheap option.

EDIT: Link

Last edited:
Taking off now to talk with paint guy. D 5's should be here today so we can start putting this pig together so all holes etc are drilled prior to paint.

Need suggestions for cyl reservoir. Any ideas ?

If pumps arrive, I'll take some pictures of pre build and log all work. THen we can get paint handled (hopefully) and get on with this thing.

I'll also go through all WB suggestions and list them.

Still looking at 4 inch monitor options.

I like the first three res choices. Will measure when I get home, but as you can see by the pics, there is all kinds of room to the right of the bays and the left of the mobo.

The D-5's are here ! Woohoo !

Taking the wife to dinner tonight as you can't get a reservation anywhere in this freakin town for tomorrow night. Plus, half the restaurants are no longer accepting res's and Im talking the high end places. Nothing like standing around for 1.5 hours to get a table !

I'll be all over this later tonight or tomorrow.

glasslicker said:
I like the first three res choices. Will measure when I get home, but as you can see by the pics, there is all kinds of room to the right of the bays and the left of the mobo.

The D-5's are here ! Woohoo !

Taking the wife to dinner tonight as you can't get a reservation anywhere in this freakin town for tomorrow night. Plus, half the restaurants are no longer accepting res's and Im talking the high end places. Nothing like standing around for 1.5 hours to get a table !

I'll be all over this later tonight or tomorrow.
Have fun!
BTW, what does she think about all this?

I like the second res... the blue LEDs would go perfect with the ice theme ;), but if it is stealth that you are settled on, you could go without the lights.

dlavrenz said:
I like the second res... the blue LEDs would go perfect with the ice theme ;), but if it is stealth that you are settled on, you could go without the lights.

I only used the word Stealth to describe a gray or blue base color.

I have no problem with LED's. I want to run cold cathodes. Like color will be white. We can always accent with Blue LED's.

Back