• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tell me what i can do to speed up my crappy laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beginnerpcbuild

Registered
I'm in the middle of my first pc build, but I have a laptop until then. It was never really fast, but its got a lot slower recently. Anything i can do to speed it up a bit? I defrag and do disk cleanup every now and then etc. I also have to delete programs often as my gf and kids are always clicking everything lol. I recently acquired an external hard drive and put all my pics, videos and music on it, so I could restart the whole thing, except I've lost my windows disc.

What brand model/laptop.

You can usually input service tag into the brands website and get detailed model configuration (unless you bought yours used)

SSD might help, that is a major crux on any system. It would still be a laptop though and in my jaded opinion still very slow.

Downloading a Windows disk is fine. Make sure you get the right version, the serial on the bottom of the computer should activate it.

SSD will help, but they're a bit pricey.

It would help to know more about your laptop, because "make it run faster" is a little vague. :shrug:

Because you mentioned defragging, I'm going to assume you have some form of Windows XP, which tends to get slower with time, fact of life :rolleyes:

One thing that might help is utilities such as CCleaner, a nice tool for kicking Windows XP back into shape.

Before springing for an SSD, I would buy more/better RAM for my laptop, although not if you're only using the laptop for the meantime between desktops, then the SSD might be nice because you can use it in your desktop as a fast primary drive.. :thup:

I have windows vista. Its my first laptop and probably my last. I only bought it because I moved house and didn't have the room for my desktop. But now I have moved again and have the room. OK I have this:

Advent PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, 2166 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.44 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.96 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.28 GB
Page File Space 3.16 GB
x86 based pc

thanks guys for the info on ssd, but as far as installing it is concerned, I wouldn't have a clue. I've never opened up my laptop before and if I do it would look like something the riddler would send to batman to figure out lol

Last edited:
Looking up how to install an SSD or new RAM shouldn't be hard, there's most likely step by step directions all over Google/YouTube.. If you can operate a screwdriver you're all set.

Well pulling the 1GB stick and getting another 2GB might help.

First of all check your memory usage. You do not need a 3 GB pagefile, unless you are running 6GB memory using apps, which lets face it you are not doing on that laptop. cut it down to 256 static like you would if you had an SSD. It will prevent windows from paging. XP prefers paging and sucked at it. What you are doing wit ha 3GB pagefile is asking windows to try running off the slow *** HDD.

HDD performance is a major hindrance on laptops as already mentioned. I am running a Scorpio black 7200 RPM HDD in my 24/7 desktop right now. OMG it sucks. a 5400 RPM desktop drive is faster. (Larger platter = greater speed and lower access time) IT is getting getting upgraded soon not sure if I am going to do 2 750s in raid0 or 3 in raid5. And the 7200 rpm will go in the inspiron I am giving to my soon to be 10 year old daughter :) If I dont put a cheap SSD in there.

SSD would be good. and you have 2 options here.

a) get a cheap 30 GB Used SSD gen 2, and then move your mechanical drive to the Optical port. run XP minimize pagefile and ditch the 2 GB stick and run dual channel 1 GB sticks. so hibernation file will only be 2GB instead of 3.

b) Get a better gen3 SSD and use it in your desktop when you make that jump. use your current 2.5" HDD as an external drive in the meantime.

BUT

You have to be able to enable AHCI if running a SSD so if running XP then you also need to slipstream drivers into your disk. If your laptop supports USB booting you dont even need to burn a disk. Use a USB stick to install XP from. You will need at least an 8GB flash drive though, as most systems see smaller ones as USB drives while at 8 GB or larger most boards see it as an external HDD and you can change the HDD boot order to the flash drive. (I bought 8 GB usb3 drives at $15 a pop I think last time I shopped)

What software do you have installed? I would (if you feel comfortable enough with it) uninstall any antivirus software and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and is very light weight on the CPU/Ram usage. Take a quick minute while you are in the Control Panel to uninstall some old software you do not use. Be sure to always use the Windows Defragger for best performance (or a program that uses it's API such as MyDefrag)

recently i have used a desktop. but now i am using a second hand laptop and it is matter of sorrow that this laptop has lots of problem and it can't run so fast. i want to speed up my laptop. so what can i do now?

recently i have used a desktop. but now i am using a second hand laptop and it is matter of sorrow that this laptop has lots of problem and it can't run so fast. i want to speed up my laptop. so what can i do now?

Answer: Start your own thread, and please be a little more specific. :blah:

;)

Hi batlon, you should start your own thread. because this will be better for you. and it is matter of sorrow that you can't describe your problems clearly. so please describe your problems clearly, than we try to solve your problems.

Back