• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp high? New to OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sydo

Okay i think that the temp of 40c is kinda high on idle? I expected something like 35c, can anyone see if there might be a problem or if its normal.

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture6.JPG

Last edited:
If you notice package temp a bit further down at 24c, that's your core temp. The other is your socket temp. Once you start overclocking you'll need active cooling on the vrm and back of the mobo to bring that down. This is a side effect of having an AIO cooler. The air flow that a typical cpu cooler would provide for the vrm is gone .
Here's a pic of what I put on the back of my board broght that temp down 10c

Capturefan.PNG

Hmm what if you dont have any holes on the side panel case in the back of the mobo, can you still apply a fan and how would that get air then? If i apply a fan to the cpu socket bracket like you have, would that bring down VRM heat? Is this also socket temp?

By the way, your idle temps, both socket and package, are fine.

In your case with no hole in the motherboard tray to mount a back fan, you might want to add a spot fan to blow on the VRM heat sinks from the topside. We find that 50 mm fans are useful and versatile for this type of situation. I like to stick them to the heat sinks with a piece of double sided adhesive strip on the fan hub. But remove the label first since it will let go before long.

Well there is actually a hole to the motherboard as shown where i could out a standard cpu cooler fan i got.
Capture22.JPG
Just dont know if it will be a problem that there is no vent wholes on the side cover of the case to vent the fresh air in.
Capture23.JPG

Capture.JPG

Not sure if that 140mm fan in the bottom is messing with the airflow through the case, much like a side fan on the case side would do.

I have read that alot recommend not to have fans on the side for intake only front and bottom. But having at the side would blow to the VRM no?

you can also reduce your vcore, over 1.4 @3.8ghz is a little high.
on my haf-x it had no hole in the case side behind the motherboard, a hole saw and a fan grill fixed that up.

Okay so i OC a little, not sure what to look for though, and dident seem to get that big of a jump in testing. Anything i done wrong or should tweak?

Edit: The CPU package temp jumbs from 20 c to 30 c and then back again every odd seconds, is this normal? (that's in idle state)
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
IMAG0029.jpg
IMAG0030.jpg

Last edited:
after about 5 min blend test
I stopped it though, so not sure if it is supposed to say that about reading the stress.txt
7.JPG

Sydo, just ignore idle temperatures, the temperature sensors on these AMD chips are not accurate below 40c when not under load. What is important is your temps under load. When you overclocked in the screen shot above did you stress test it with prime 95?

EDIT: your temps are fine, recommended temps are below 70 on the cpu and 62 on the package. You can keep pushing further, just raise the multiplier and test, if it fails ie loses a worker, bsod or freeze, add voltage.

Do i add the voltage to the "CPU Offset Voltage" ? and anywhere else also? Or just that? Not NB voltage?

What about CPU/NP freq and HT Link Speed? Stay where they are, or try push them to 2600Mhz?

Default CPU_NB supposed to be 2200Mhz for FX-8320.

Default HT Link Speed supposed to be 2600Mhz for FX-8320.

So in reality if they are close to their stock speeds, you can obtain stability and temps within range and if you 'wish' to adjust those two speeds it can be at a later time. YMMV.
RGone...

I would use Manual mode when trying to find a stable OC. After you find a stable OC you can then go back and adjust it and use the "offset voltage". This way after finding a stable OC you can re enable the power saving features which will allow the Cpu to down clock as well as the voltage.

Back