• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temperature sensing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

James008

Registered
Hi Everyone

I am running a 1055t in an Asus M4a89GTD Pro motherboard, overclocked to 3.6ghz.

When I was stress testing I was using Asus Probe and Everest to monitor the temperatures. Everything was working fine with Probe and everest showing the temperatures at 35c idle and up to 58c under full load for three hours. There were also the inaccurate core temperatures lagging these by about 13c.

It now seems that something has stopped doing its job. When I start up the CPU shows about 35c as before but never goes up. The motherboard also reports 27c no matter how hot it gets. The inaccurate core temp readings in Everest still follow the range 22c to 45c and back so I can see the temps are changing. I just cant understand why the cpu temp and motherboard temp readings don't change anymore. The two temperatures in bios do not change anymore either.

Any ideas

Cheers

The core temps lagging behind CPU temps by 13c is not necessarily inaccurate, by the way. On many systems CPU temps are higher than core temps and I have built systems were there was that much difference. There are some logical reasons why CPU temps can be higher than core temps.

It seems odd that they stay at 35C all the time. Have you tried stressing the system with something like Prime95 to see if the temps go up? Also, try some different software to see if it's a software issue. e.g. CoreTemp.

:welcome: to OCF!

It now seems that something has stopped doing its job. When I start up the CPU shows about 35c as before but never goes up. The motherboard also reports 27c no matter how hot it gets. The core temp readings in Everest still follow the range 22c to 45c and back so I can see the temps are changing. I just cant understand why the cpu temp and motherboard temp readings don't change anymore. The two temperatures in bios do not change anymore either.
The thing that comes to mind offhand would be the chipset drivers. :shrug:

Have you updated BIOS recently - or maybe Windows? Those may also change the way the board temps are being reported. I really can't understand how any of those could change it but aside from a hardware (sensor) failure it's all I can think of.

The BIOS temps may not change since you're basically idling when in BIOS with no way to stress the system.

Just an FYI so we're clear - The core temp readings from Everest and CoreTemp (the temps that are still changing with CPU usage) don't come from the motherboard CPU socket sensor, they come from the CPU itself ... :)

Thanks for the replies and the welcome.

After reading the replies and giving it a bit more thought It would seem that I have a dead sensor on my motherboard.

The GPU and the CPU are giving me readings but nothing from the motherboard sensor.

Not the end of the world, it's just good to know where the problem is,

so thanks for the help:thup:

It's still under warranty, isn't it?

Sure is, only a couple of weeks old. Trouble is I have got rid of my old system and could be without for quite a while whilst they checked it and sent me a new one. If there are no other problems it is probably worth living with it.

Back