• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps a bit high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lithan

Disabled
Alright just upgraded to an asus a7v333 and at the same time put a sk7 on my cpu.

I've got the SK7 on with AS3 and an enermax fan rated at 46cfm at 3000rpm running at 3600rpm (I'd guess 53ish cfm).

I've got the latest bios (1015).

Cpu is Athlon xp 1800+ running default

Voltage is 1.79

Ambient temp is 20*, case temp is 20*. Amd diode temp is 48* at Idle... haven't even tried loading it yet.

Is it me or is this high?

I didn't lap the heatsink (I saw machining marks, but they didn't look like they would really impact performance.) And I may have screwed up applying the AS3.

You guys think that these are the culprits, or are my temps really not overtly high? Not too familiar with these heatsink, but from the rating I saw, and with ~50 cfm going through it and my case temp being so low I was expecting upper 30's max Idle.

if ur using an asus mobo, its a known fact that those boards measure temps a bit off.

either that, or ur hsf isnt making good contact with ur cpu. u may need to install it again. put a thin layer of AS3. then fire it up again.

good luck :D

Yeah Im thinking that would be the problem as the heatsink was barely above ambient temp to the touch when I popped open my case right after about an hour of running. Oh well... maybe tomorrow I'll take this thing off, lapp it and reapply as3, etc... Damnit. This things scarey putting on... I mean Im using my body weight to engage the damn clips. Took 2 people to get it on last time (one to hook the clip to the lugs and one to hold the heatsink up so it didnt absolutely demolish the core.)

I applied as3 to fill the gaps on the heatsink and like an idiot wiped the excess off with a paper towel. I think that's what did it... but if Im taking it off anyway, well might as well lap it for that extra half degree.

athlon XP1800+ at default should run just fine at 1.7 Vcore (at least mine does), and lowering your voltage should lowering your temp. as well :) ..

I would try it... but once I fix my @Default temps. I don't plan on being @Default for very much longer. Of course... another path would be doing as you suggest. Dropping to 1.70, and turning my fan down real low, having el silent Pc.

Got a moderately loud 120mm but if I drop it to 7volts its almost unnoticable.
Gonna have a sparkle 300watt PS, no clue how loud that is I've read everything from too damn loud to completely silent
And this fan can go as low as 1000rpm at something like 13 dBA... Hmm... tempting. I'm not suffering tornado noise or anything, but You can leave my room, close the door and tell that my computers on.

The a7v333 temps read lower than normal if you're using bios 1011 or later since it reads off the external diode instead of the ondie diode.

So I guess your temps are on the high side.

Huh... So your telling me that the asus2 cusl2 reading ISNT reading the onchip diode? So my temps ARE in the 50's?

Jesus.

Oh and by the way. it definately is a transfer problem. Heatsink rarely gets even noticably warm to the touch... and I dropped the fan rpm down to 2800 from 3600 and only gained 2*, Im thinking I'll be lapping that heatsink and reapplying AS3 today.

Grr Im not gonna like reengaging that clip.

Oh and btw as Im sure you all know, the sk7 (and more than likely sk6 and slk800) have extremely odd fan mounting systems. Took me and a friend who are both something of computer wizz's (hes a network admin, Im just a hobbyist) about 20 minutes to be certain we were installing it right,
Then we realized we were wrong and you COULD in fact leave the fan grill on. Geez.

I've never heard of any 80mm fan that pushes 46cfm at only 3000rpm... My 3000rpm fan on my SK-7 is only rated at 39cfm... Oh well... lol, I didn't think I could use a grill on the fan either, The only thing I had to do was take off the screws... The clips kept popping off with the screws on, but they hold the grill on tight even without the screws.

hmm, I tried hooking it into those little indents but I didn't think it would hold stable...

Hmm is plenty stable for me... More stable than the screw holes were... but anyways. I've lapped this thing to 1500 (VERY DAMN SMOOTH), reapplied AS3 following instructions exactly (Paid 6 bucks for a ****ing rag (lint free cloth)) And for all that I've dropped 3* celsius.

So now Im reading 46* idle in a 21* case. And I understand that's not an on die reading (asus a7v333 bios 1015) So About 55* That is 24* over air temp, with ~1% load. On an athlon 1800+ default everything.

My Vantec with a 26cfm fan was getting better temps than this... well at least I can dial this fan down for peace and quiet. Still. 55* celsius at default? With the second best heatsink made? What the hell? I know Im not using a 84cfm fan, but even without that I shouldn't be getting the temps you expect from a ****ing stock hsf.

Edit.... Im beginning to suspect that this motherboardsthermistor is ****ed.

Last edited:
Ok I figured something out.

Ok... MBM IS repeat IS reading the On die diode (although in BIOS the mobo reads its own sensor). So my temps vary from 45-50 depending on the speed I run the fan (50 is at inaudible level).

I cranked fan to max speed (cause my -12 bar is so high It's 3600 not 3000... At this level I was getting 45idle 48 load.

I pushed FSB up to 155/31. It's stable. 49Idle ?? load

I pushed it to 158/32. Ram can't take it. Im gonna take the kingston stick out and try just the crucial. I wanna get 1800mhz. Maybe I can get up to 166/33. If not, ram will be my next purchase. (at 1783 now. 155/31).

Oh and all voltages are at default (though my cpu runs a bit high naturally, 1.79 rather than 1.75)

Going to try the crucial at 158... wish me luck.

Ok... system can't go past 155. I freeze during burnin at 156. Freeze in windows at 157. Freeze when Zonealarm tries to load at 158.

Kingston can't go above 156 at default voltage. Freezes in windows at anything higher. Crucial is the same. At 156 I freeze during burnin, which I think is the ram's fault. So i'm gonna venture a guess that my cpu can go higher but my rams both cap at 155-156 at default voltage. Not too bad.

After a couple more hours uptime Idle temp is now 49. Gonna find load temp later tonight. Run burnin for 40 minutes. Then Im gonna play some wc3 and make sure it's nice and stable in that.

Though it's too early to call I'm guessing my cap on an...

ASUS A7V333

256MB pc2100 crucial
+256MB pc2100 Kingston Valueram

Athlon Xp 1800+ Agoia Rev 4 02/26

Sk7 w\ 3600rpm 80mm fan

Is 155fsb, 1/5 divider, ~50* celsius Idle, (load temp tba)

Maybe some voltage pushes another day... once Im certain this is nice and stable.

I'm going to have to get

Last edited:
Back