• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Test ur Reboot Time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoxingChaos2011

My boot time is..

n742e.jpg
I thought my time was faster but I remember taking this test back in FEB and it was 78 seconds. lol

The following was taken from another forum but here it goes.

How to Test Your Computer's Reboot Time

This works for both XP, Vista and Windows 7

Open Notepad and copy everything in the code box below and paste it in Notepad.

Code:
Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next
Dim Wsh, Time1, Time2, Result, PathFile, MsgResult, MsgA, AppName, KeyA, KeyB, TimeDiff
MsgA = "Please close all running applications and click on OK."
KeyA = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RestartTime\"
KeyB = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\RestartTime"
AppName = "[GeekPolice] Reboot Time"
Set Wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
PathFile = """" & WScript.ScriptFullName & """"
Result = wsh.RegRead(KeyA & "Times")
if Result = "" then
MsgResult = Msgbox (MsgA, vbOKCancel, AppName)
If MsgResult = vbcancel then WScript.Quit
Wsh.RegWrite KeyA & "Times", left(Time,8), "REG_SZ"
Wsh.RegWrite KeyB, PathFile, "REG_SZ"
Wsh.Run "cmd /c Shutdown -r -t 00", false, 0
else
Wsh.RegDelete KeyA & "Times"
Wsh.RegDelete KeyA
Wsh.RegDelete KeyB
TimeDiff = DateDiff("s",Result,left(Time,8))
MsgBox "Your computer reboots in " & TimeDiff & " seconds", VbInformation, AppName
end if
wscript.Quit

The actual source is in French.
Source:
http://www.zebulon.fr/astuces/197-calculer-le-temps-de-redemarrage.html

2. Save the file as Reboot Time.vbs on anywhere, your desktop for example. You can choose to save the file as any name you want, just make sure the file ends with a .vbs extension.

How to use:

Double click on the script file you saved.
Close all the running applications and click the OK button in the dialog box.
The computer will reboot and when Windows and a dialog box will open displaying the time your computer took to reboot.

How it works:

In order to calculate the time of rebooting Windows, we will use a VB Script (Visual BASIC Scripting Edition). Let us learn first how it works. The script writes a value in the registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\run) so that it can be started again when booting. Later, another value containing the time is written in the registry when the reboot starts. While rebooting, the script records the hour in a variable then checks if the first value containing the time exists. If so, it is then enough to compare two times in order to obtain the time of rebooting. Then, the two keys added to the registry are removed (the run key and the key where the time is stored).

Here are some additional notes on the subject.
http://www.geekpolice.net/t3714-use-multiple-cpus-at-boot-up-faster-boot-up

Done.

I think we have a thread for this already...but not for this... application. We used GUI based ones, like Boot Timer to name one.

I think we have a thread for this already...but not for this... application.

I sort of figured that considering how useful this place is. I should have used the search function. Sorry, I am new here. maybe MOD can merge it if need. Thank you and my apologies to the group.
:fight:

used your program got this
ScreenShot001-4.jpg

use boot time got this
ScreenShot002-3.jpg

i really got 30 sec But forgot to take a screen shot and i tryed to get it again but kept getting around 55 secs

Im not sure where it measures from...Boxing, you have any idea?

if i look at the code right, it creates 2 key's

one in HKCU run and a new folder called "reboot time"

and it measures the time between the two, kills all the reg key's it creates and you get your time from the TimeDIff value

Right, that I got... but WHEN are those keys created in the boot process? I assume after POST? Then when is the new folder created... when the 'working' circle goes away? Network loaded... etc.

does this script just take shutdown time to start-up time?

I believe this measures from the second you hit REBOOT, to the second you are back in.

because here is a different prog with different results on my pc
2m2uhy1.png.jpg

I was unable to get Windows Boot Time Utility to work which was posted by trekky. I never got the pop up with the results.

Back