• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

testing a C1 Stepping 930 SL95X....wow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dylskee said:
Damn, 4.8GHz!!!! Very nice, i could only get 4.5GHz stable on water and it took a little too much voltage(1.5v) to get it stable. Sounds like you have an awesome chip there, i would keep it.

thanks, though my guess is it's just an average C1 stepping chip...

my B1 topped out at 4.42ghz on water with 1.48v...so your B1 is better than mine was

Sorry for reviving this thread, but there are some SL95X's on ebay right now for 150 bones. I just got mine, can't wait to see what these C1's can do on my Asus P5W DH.

The P5W DH and C1 :drool:

I dont know though... Core2 is almost out :-/
Bahh.. high end air results would rule :attn:
That and someone needs to deep freeze one of these!!! :attn:

something tells me you'll be able to find C1 preslers very soon for much less then $150 on ebay.

benbaked said:
something tells me you'll be able to find C1 preslers very soon for much less then $150 on ebay.

that might be true, but i doubt it...

and at $150, the c1 preslers are a steal...they'll most likely do 4.5-5ghz with good cooling (mine is at 4.8ghz with only 1.48v on water)....

and at 4.8ghz, these encode video as fast as a 3.2ghz 4mb cache core2 or likely as fast as a 3.5ghz 2mb core2...

plus, with the ability to lower voltage, fsb and the multiplier in windows, these C1's can consume very little power when not needed to encode

on the other hand, even the lowest end core 2's might be a better chip for a gaming system...

Just got my C1 on a P5W DH. I got it up to 4.2Ghz on a Ninja heatsink, but idle was 51C and load was 65C, so i put it down to 4Ghz.
46C idle, 60C load. I'll keep it like this till i can water cool it or get a conroe i guess. At least I got 1066fsb and my memory is running at 1066Mhz too, so everything is good. Nice voltage too.

Image2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh... the ol' Pencil droop mod. There ought to be a hall of fame for that...

What's the best mb for the C1 930? Is it the -E or the DH?

Well the DH has 8-phase power, the -E only 4. Also, the Pencil droop mod isn't really necessary on the DH. The DH also supports Core 2 Duo, so my vote is for the DH.

I have been playing with a few of those c1's and they do oc much nicer than the older ones. So far i haven't hit any higher oc than 280-285 stable on all 3 of them on air and VC at 1.3875. Of the older ones, one is folding stable at 260 at 1.3875, the other takes 1.425 to fold stable at 285. So far ran folding stable for nearly a day on 1 of them on a p5ld2.

I couldn't get them stable past 290 without raising vc too high for air .. I tried up to 1.475VC but pcmark04 temps were hitting 80C, so more oc attempts will have to wait for water. Tested on a p5ld2 and p5w dh, but not all cpus's on both mobo's yet. Results seem fairly consistent tho.

Some members have the chips to hit a new WR for non XE pressler OC's, possibly the WR for pressler clocks..
Someone needs to bench one!!! :attn:

greenmaji said:
Some members have the chips to hit a new WR for non XE pressler OC's, possibly the WR for pressler clocks..
Someone needs to bench one!!! :attn:

I get my mother board next week so i can see what i acn do, haha probabl not anything about 6ghz though since i dont have access to LN2 :/

:welcome: to OCF!

the only intel spec # listed for the 930 atm on intel spec finder (which i assume is only retails?) is the SL94R so i assume no C1's are in retail channels? I wonder if they ever will be with the realignment of the pressler models.

If they do go retail, since my OEM's are sl95x i am guessing they would start with sl95_. The intel spec # is listed on the outside of the retail boxes AFAIK.

If you find someone with a recent dell 930 you might be able to swap one with them ... i recall someone else here who did that.

Good luck :)

dustybyrd said:
my B1 topped out at 4.42ghz on water with 1.48v...so your B1 is better than mine was

What makes you think it was topped out at that low voltage? Heck, I need that many volts to keep my 805 stable at 3.95ghz. Did increasing the voltage not really help much or the temps too high?

Stilletto said:
What makes you think it was topped out at that low voltage? Heck, I need that many volts to keep my 805 stable at 3.95ghz. Did increasing the voltage not really help much or the temps too high?

temps were still below 60c, but adding more voltage up to 1.55v (IIRC) didn't provide any stable speed increases with the B1 chip...

on a side note, to update this thread:

Fry's gave me a replacement p5wd2-e for my board that had the sata connections fail...and i haven't done the pencil droop mod yet...so i was able to lower the voltage to 1.23v to get 4ghz (267x15) stable...actual voltage drops to 1.21v or so under full load....

i also now have a 540watt APC, UPS that tells me how much power is being drawn by my system:

at 4ghz, 1.23v: 270 watts idle, 335 watts full 2x cpu load

at 4.5ghz, 1.37v: 300 watts idle, 375 watts full 2x cpu load

at 4.8ghz, 1.48v: 325 watts idle, 430 watts full 2x cpu load

so about 100 more watts under full load being drawn with 800 more mhz and 0.25 more volts...

Back